Problem with MBP HDD

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by cavebob, Dec 28, 2007.

1. cavebob macrumors member

My friends having a problem with her MBP HDD. When you start up the MBP it takes FOREVER to load, like 15 mins+ and thats if it loads. Theres a slight ticking sound as it tries to read. I took it out and hooked it up to my desktop and used mac drive to try and access it but again it just took forever and eventually a messaged popped saying there was a file error. The laptop is pristine, she hasn't dropped it or anything like that, she just started it up one day and it fek'd up. Any ideas?

2. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

I'd give Apple a call if you're under warranty. It sounds like a goner. :(

3. cavebob thread starter macrumors member

=( its out unfortunately. I've dumped into an external enclosure, seems to copy alright, but a lot of files come up as unable to copy try again, skip, cancel. So im guessing bad sectors... possible physical fault. If all goes well and I can salvage as much as possible Ill try for a full wipe and reinstall. Keep u guys posted. And thanks for the advice!

4. Ninja Guidan macrumors regular

Sounds like the hard drive is dead. A reinstall won't work on that thing. Applecare/warranty will replace it.

5. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

I already asked about the warranty...

Out of it and they've already opened it up.

They can just put another drive in there now.

6. cavebob thread starter macrumors member

Ok so I've managed to retrieve all the files that I can off the HDD. I've also managed to format the thing. My firned can't find her install discs though which sucks. Anyone know where I might be able to get a copy or image of the disc(s) required?