Problem with MDP to DVI to HDMI

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by Cave Man, Jul 12, 2009.

1. Cave Man macrumors 604

Cave Man

I bought Monoprice's Mini DisplayPort to DVI adapter with a plan to connect my Rev C 1.83 MBA to my 1080p Sanyo PLZ-2000 projector with a DVI to HDMI cable from the MDP adapter. However, while the MBA sees the projector in the Displays pane, nothing appears on the projector. If I connect with my Apple VGA adapter to the VGA input of the projector it works just fine. Any ideas on how to resolve this?

TIA.

2. stoconnell macrumors 6502

Just to be sure, the DVI adapter works fine with a monitor? If yes, could this be the infamous HDCP getting in the way?

If your projector isn't HDCP compatible, it's possible that's an issue:

http://www.theprojectorpros.com/learn-s-learn-p-theater_hdcp.htm

Or if it is, maybe the combination of the mDP-DVI and your DVI-HDMI isn't HDCP-compliant.

http://arstechnica.com/apple/news/2...-to-hdmi-adapter-available-hdcp-compliant.ars

3. AVR2 macrumors 6502

If Cave Man can't even get the Mac desktop to display via the projector, I don't think HDCP is the problem. HDCP compatibility only matters when you're specifically trying to play HDCP-protected material.

If it *was* an HDCP issue, then the Mac output would display via the projector as normal, but with a refusal message appearing when the OP tried to play an HDCP-protected video file.

In any event, I've just checked the specs of the Sanyo PLZ-2000 projector and it's fully HDCP-compliant. There's some other problem involved here. As you say, Cave Man really needs to confirm that the MDP>DVI>HDMI cabling works to get the MBA's output into a monitor.

Actually, Cave Man - why did you choose to go MDP>DVI>HDMI? Why not just buy Monoprice's MDP>HDMI adapter and miss out the unnecessary DVI stage?