Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

poundman

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 22, 2011
I purchase 6x8GB dimms to upgrade my 5,1 from 6x1GB. With the old memory I used slots 1-3 and 5-7 for what I thought was triple channel. When I installed the new memory it will not boot with a DIMM in slot 2. I get the boot chime but it is stuck on the apple logo. But when I move that to slot 4 it will work just fine. Now I have 1,3,4,5,6,7 populate but I think in the first bank, I would be only running dual channel. Any one run into this issue. The memory is samsung 2Rx4 PC3-10600R

Bigwaff

Contributor
Sep 20, 2013
What does /System/Library/CoreServices/Memory Slot Utility.app have to say about your configuration?

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
As Bigwaff posted--the Memory Slot Utility app is in the System folder, Library, then CoreServices folder. Look for the Memory Slot Utility

poundman

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 22, 2011
Looks like that app only runs in Mojave and higher. I tried to run under Mojave but seems like i don't get any useful information unless I am running it incorrectly. However, the memory slot notification under Mojave says "the current processor does not support the amount of total system memory installed". I have the dual E5520 processors. Do they support 48Gb of memory?

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.