Problem with menu on iMac

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by machelp1776, Aug 17, 2010.

1. machelp1776 macrumors newbie

I remember when I first got my mac a year ago, I had this book with a bunch of tips and tricks for Macs, and it showed me how to go in and change the text when you right-click.

For instance, when I right click on something in the dock, instead of it saying "Quit" it now says something not so polite. ^_^

However, I'm selling my iMac tomorrow to get a Macbook and I can't remember how to change this back; ideas?

2. andyriot macrumors member

I suggest restoring it to factory settings with the install disc. Should remove any modifications as well as your personal information.

3. machelp1776 thread starter macrumors newbie

How long would that take do you think? And also if I have iPhoto, Garageband etc on there and I reinstall everything to factory setting will they disappear?

4. andyriot macrumors member

Reinstalling takes around 30 minutes. It will remove *everything* from the computer except what comes stock with Leopard/Snow Leopard (whichever you install). You will also need to reinstall the iLife suite if you want iPhoto, GarageBand, etc on there.

Either way, I suggest doing this. You don't want the person buying your iMac to come across anything personal you've had on the computer. Its always best to clear it out for a fresh start.

5. machelp1776 thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah well I don't own the disc to install iLife, it was already on the computer when I bought it from Apple and the person I'm selling to wants the iLife to be on there, so I think this option is out.

6. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Don't you have the grey Restore DVDs that came with the Mac? On DVD 1 is Mac OS X, on DVD 2 is iLife.

Example of Restore DVDs:

[​IMG]

They are inside the "Everything Mac" booklet.

7. andyriot macrumors member

If you think giving the buyer iLife is more important than risking your personal security, then go right ahead.

On a side note, not that I am condoning piracy, but since you own a Mac and the iLife suite comes free with all Macs. Perhaps you can find said suite online and acquire a blank disc from which to install from. Hypothetically speaking...

8. machelp1776 thread starter macrumors newbie

Oh, ha I didn't know iLife was on the second disc.

Alright thanks both of you !

9. andyriot macrumors member

All's well that end's well. Enjoy your new MacBook :)