Problem with Messenger for Mac

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Assab, Jan 28, 2008.

1. Assab macrumors newbie

hey, i have a problem with my messenger for mac.

upon turning on my macbook pro and manually opening messenger, after about a minute of it trying to log in a message pops up saying: 'sign in to microsoft messenger failed because the service is not available or you may not be connected to the internet'.

my internet connection is fine, and my log in details are correct.

and also upon discovering this problem i realised my ichat wasn't working either, but i fixed that but changing the port number to 443 (i found this help on a forum).

i'm completely unsure of what to do, i hope someone can help me.

thanks.

2. funkychunkz macrumors 6502a

funkychunkz

Make sure your username and password are entered into the personal account field, and not corporate. I believe that MSN uses port number 1863.

3. Assab thread starter macrumors newbie

i had it already in personal, and using the port number changes nothing. :(

4. Osarkon macrumors 68020

Osarkon

I encountered that same problem when I tried using Messenger for Mac.

No matter what I did, nothing fixed it, so I ended up switching to using Adium.

As loathe as I am to suggest using different software to solve a problem, it's the only thing I can think of at the moment. Is there any particular feature you require Messenger for Mac for?

5. Assab thread starter macrumors newbie

aaaah! that's not the solution, you can't just give up! :( i use messenger everyday.

if it helps i have already tried removing and then re-installing messenger.

some please help me!

6. MacHipster macrumors 6502

That happens from time to time. It's an MSN thing. It'll be fine, I promise.;)

7. Osarkon macrumors 68020

Osarkon

I know, I know. I used it every day as well. I still do try to use it every time it gets updated, but it never does work for long. :(

I'm waiting on version 7 now to see if that actually works. Whenever that ends up being released...

8. DuRui macrumors member

For some reason..I get the feeling Microsoft isn't really that dedicated on releasing MSN for Mac (with the same feautures and stability it has on windows) for you know..mac anytime soon..I wonder why hmm...let's ponder :D

9. Assab thread starter macrumors newbie

why how?

i don't understand how it'll be fine soon, what is the reason behind this... techies?!?

10. digitalnicotine macrumors 65816

digitalnicotine

What version of MSN are you using? It ran fine for me until the last update, and then I had problems similar to what you are describing. I had to call my ISP provider, and I can't remember the technical aspects of what needed to be changed, but they walked me through something, and it did help. Then I only got kicked off once a day. :) You may want to look for a different version?

I agree that Microsoft isn't terribly dedicated to MSN for macs. At one point, they announced they would discontinue OSX support, but that was years ago, so apparently they changed their minds. Good luck, sorry I couldn't help more. I switched to Adium because MSN exceeded my frustration tolerance level.

11. Assab thread starter macrumors newbie

thank you. where can you download the older versions of messenger for mac, the one i'm using atm is the latest.

and where can i get support from microsoft with it?

thanks

12. digitalnicotine macrumors 65816

digitalnicotine

You can get older MSN versions here. Hope this helps.

13. Assab thread starter macrumors newbie

nope, i had the same problem with all of those. :mad:

this must of narrowed it down, does anyone know what next?

where can i get official help with it?

14. digitalnicotine macrumors 65816

digitalnicotine