Problem with mid-2011 iMac

Discussion in 'iMac' started by streetsandtheatres, Jan 26, 2016.

1. streetsandtheatres macrumors newbie

Jan 26, 2016
    Hello all!

I have a mid-2011, 21.5" iMac. If I turn it on it starts up to the screen with network, recovery and hard drive options. None of them work.

If I click either of the drives it continues for a few moments, and then there is some 'static' in a band across the about an inch of the screen (logic board problem?), and then restarts, and then nothing, just grey. I can't start in safe mode. Resetting NVRAM does nothing. I have no peripherals connected and I removed the additional RAM.

I initially thought it was a hard drive failure, but I can access the data in Target Disk Mode. I have plenty of backups etc...
    In diagnostic mode I get a different failure each test, such as: 4sns/1/40000000: TAOP-52.308

How can I diagnose the problem?

2. Teugeus macrumors member

Oct 7, 2013
    Reads like a display/graphics problem. Could be anything from the graphics chip, the cable between the logic board and the display or the display itself.
  3. streetsandtheatres thread starter macrumors newbie

Jan 26, 2016
    Thanks. I just gave up and arrived back at home with a new iMac. The more I thought about it the more it seemed like a hardware problem that wasn't going to be easily solved, and it was more or less time for a new one anyway.
    So: 3.3GHz i5, 27", 2tb fusion, M395 :) :)