Problem with Migration Assistant- Please Help!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by mjo, Oct 26, 2013.

1. mjo macrumors newbie

Hi All,

I just got a new MacBook Pro and am using Migration assistant to transfer about 220GB of data off of an old laptop running Windows 7 via an Ethernet cable. I think the process was about 10 minutes from being finished, when windows updated some software and restarted. (I though I had auto updates turned off, but I guess I didn't.) :-(

Now Migration Assistant on the Mac is showing that it is still working, but I reopened Migration Assistant on the PC, and it says "waiting to connect."

My question is, is there a way to restart Migration Assistant on the Mac and get it to pick up where it left off?

I am worried that if I restart the Mac, I will have to begin from the beginning.

Thanks for any info you can give...

Matt

2. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

I have never seen a way to "resume" like you want.... I think you are going to just need to reboot both and start over.

3. rick3000 macrumors 6502a

rick3000

I agree with what was said, you need to start over. Migration Assistant is finicky at best, I would highly recommend not using it if possible, because it tends to cause all sorts of odd problems.

4. mjo thread starter macrumors newbie

Do you know if there will be duplicate files from the first attempt? Or will it just overwrite that data?

----------

Do you know of a better way to go about this? What sorts of odd problems?

5. rick3000 macrumors 6502a

rick3000

I would try Migration Assistant and see what happens, most people don't have an issue. However, I always seem to have issues with it. The last time I used it, whichever OS introduced iMessages, it would not let me login into my iCloud account. I also had issues with my Mac Mail trash not deleting, and a few other minor but very annoying problems.

When I did a clean install, I reinstalled everything manually, then went application by application, and looked for any data related to the app, and moved it over via export/import, or even going into the User/Library.

6. mjo thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks all for the info!

I ended up using migration assistant. It created a new user account to put everything in, which was confusing at first and would have been a pain if I had a lot of data in the existing user account. As it was, I deleted the old user account, renamed the new one and am good to go.

Took about 4 hours to move the 200+GB of data, but glad to be up and running.

Thanks folks!

Matt