problem with migration assistant

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by acrahm, Jul 5, 2010.

1. acrahm macrumors regular

Recently i purchased an imac and was told to run migration assistant to transfer all my stuff from my mini and my mbp to this machine.

i used time machine to back up both of those machines and then used migration assistant to transfer everything from those backups.

everything transfer over but when i try to access any of the folders from the mbp or mini, i get a message saying i dont have permissions to access this folder

anyone know how i can fix this so i can access the files?

2. JediMeister macrumors 68040

Migration Assistant copied your user accounts from the Mac mini and Macbook Pro to the iMac. Log out of the account you are in at the moment, log into a transferred account to access the files. Migration Assistant DOES NOT MERGE accounts. If you look in Accounts Preferences, you'll likely see about 5 or 6 accounts in all.

3. acrahm thread starter macrumors regular

thanks,

so if i login into the user of the account from the mac mini, i can access those files and transfer them over?

the main reason i wanted to use the migration assistant was to transfer over all the applications.

4. JediMeister macrumors 68040

Yes, you can only access files from the account that has the proper read/write permissions. You have a few choices when it comes to merging data between different accounts on the same Mac: 1) use the Shared folder to drag and drop files, 2) delete the accounts but save them as folders or disk images and then consolidate the data manually, 3) use an external hard drive to consolidate your files and pick one of the accounts to move forward with.

5. The Crow macrumors newbie

ongoing problems for a novice...

My Mac died in April,after getting a new HD with 1 terabyte I used the time machine which transferred over most of the applications, however I noticed that imovie didn't come across, so today (foolishly!) I decided to do a transfer across. I should have been alerted when it asked me to create another account name (which I did), it has now finished but I now can't open itunes or imovie (maybe others but these are of utmost concern at present). The message I get is 'this copy of itunes is corrupted or not installed correctly please reinstall'. So please before doing anything else what should I do?
    See a little bit of knowledge is a dangerous thing.
    Shelly