Problem with missing albums in 64g GB Ipod Touch.

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Skyclad, Feb 25, 2011.

1. Skyclad, Feb 25, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 25, 2011

Skyclad macrumors newbie

Okay, I really hope someone can help me out here. In late 2009, a bit over a year ago, I bought a 64gb IPod Touch. I had a PC then and had an Itunes account. I filled about 80% of the Ipod Touch with my own CD's and left the rest of the space open for Itunes purchases. Since then I bought a few thousand dollars worth of albums, games, apps and one movie and a few single songs. Mostly full albums though. Anyway, for the last 6 months or so I didn't synch my Ipod up with my PC since just didn't have time. I was still buying stuff through the Ipod Touch and my router and when I ran out of space I started taking some of the 30 or so games I had on it off since they took up a lot of space. Fast forward to a few weeks ago and my PC was broken in an accident, like completely smashed. I bought a brand new custom Macbook Pro which arrived on Monday. A day or so later I went to listen to my IPod and noticed a LOT of the albums were missing. ALL of the CD's I put on myself are gone and quite a few of the ones I downloaded are gone as well. I thought "No problem, I'll just use the Itunes thing on my new Macbook Pro, sign into my account and I'll be good. Nope, nothing was there. No albums, no games, no apps, no nothing. All I could find were 5 album cover art/lyric books that I didn't download when I had my PC. So I called Apple up and they informed me of something I did not know... the 10 or so bucks you pay for an album on the ITunes store is for a ONE time download. He said not to fret though and sent me to the area of Apple's website where you can get a one time re-download of things you downloaded. I honestly did not know any of this. I'm a gamer and on X Box Live and SOny's PSN if you download stuff to your account, you can take it off and re-download it as many times as you want. I thought that was how this was. Anyway, the Apple dude said I should get a terabyte hard drive and after they put the stuff up on the account again to back it up.

All that in consideration, here's the really weird parts...

I have never synched my Ipod Touch up to this brand new Macbook Pro, in fact, like I said earlier, I didn't even synch it up for the last 6 months I had my PC. So, how did the albums go missing.

And the oddest/weirdest thing of all...

Even though all of those albums are gone, the Ipod touch shows that the hard drive is still almost full. It's like I can't see the albums or listen to them, but they're still taking up all the space.

2. neim81094 macrumors newbie

You mite have to restore your iPod because that is what it seems like

Wow i never heard of something like that, maybe you gave your ipod to someone and they deleted your
    Music? Or your purchases never fully downloaded so it didnt show? And i didnt know its a one time purchase that is really horrible, man apple is stingy i thought you could download as many times because you purchased it, i would get a portable hd with EVERYTHING backed up just incase you start losing data and apple makes you pay for it again

3. Skyclad thread starter macrumors newbie

Nope, I'd never let someone else use my IPod and everything was fully downloaded as I listened to all the albums all the way through and know they downloaded alright.

Yep, all albums/songs are apparently a one time only download. If they let me redownload everything I'm definitely getting an external hard drive to back everything up.

4. transmaster, Feb 26, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 26, 2011

transmaster macrumors 6502

transmaster

If you remember when you first downloaded your music purchases from iTunes it asked you if you wanted to back them up to a CD. Tiger-direct has a real nice deal on a 2 Terabyte external Seagate HD for 89.99. This is the actual price no mail in rebate. I see there are 3 terabyte externals for sale at $179 dollars each. These are grand times for a digital pack-rat like me :D

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicat...m_re=Homepage-_-Spot 05-_-CatId_136_S130-9000

I personally have three Western Digital Element externals one 2 terabyte, and a pair of 1 terabyte drives. Zero trouble all purchased from Tiger-direct. I have been a customer of Tiger direct for nearly 20 years and have had no complaints. :)

5. brownstonemr macrumors newbie

Well since your hard drive is still full then obviously the music is still there. I would try not add anything new because it will tend to overwrite existing songs messing up your albums.

With the old ipods you could actually reveal the hidden folders through 'my computer' on windows to show all the mp3s. Don't think you can with a ipod touch though. I would suggest using another program like sharepod or yamipod. I use sharepod on windows to backup music off the ipod. Yamipod has a feature to repair the ipod database so it lists all the music again from those hidden folders.

Now whether they have these programs for Mac I am not sure but you should search for similar programs that may help you back up the music.