Problem with moving files to external hard drive

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by yayitsezekiel, Apr 21, 2009.

1. yayitsezekiel macrumors 6502a

yayitsezekiel

Hey guys, every time I try to move a file really over a gigabyte to my external hard drive, I keep getting the error as stated in the picture. The wierd thing is, I have 350+ gigs free on my external hard drive. Does anyone know how to fix this? Thanks in advance :)

Attached Files:

2. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

How big is "really over a gigabyte"? The FAT32 filesystem has a maximum file size of 4 GB if that's what you're using.

3. yayitsezekiel thread starter macrumors 6502a

yayitsezekiel

well i have two files, one around 6 and the other 52 gigs that I want to move to my external. Is there any possible way to do that?

4. JediMeister macrumors 68040

Is this external drive for backup purposes or are you planning to transport these large files over to another Mac or PC? If its going to another Mac or you're backing up large files to it, pull everything off the drive and reformat it using Disk Utility to Mac OS Extended (Journaled) a.k.a. HFS+ format. If its going to a Windows, you'd have to format the drive as NTFS and then use MacFuse and NTFS-3G to allow write access to that drive from a Mac computer.

5. yayitsezekiel thread starter macrumors 6502a

yayitsezekiel

I'm just using it for backup purposes, but not like for time machine but just to store my big files for whenever I need them. I think i'll do this. Thanks! Is there anything else I should know?