Problem with MPEG STREAMCLIP

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by wildstrawberry, Oct 10, 2008.

1. wildstrawberry macrumors newbie

I have subtitle films that I received on dvd. I am working in FCP

I got the films into fcp by exporting them to quicktime, 100% quality, dvcpro 50 Pal- (the movies are pal)

The QT files have frames missing here and there, so there's a stutter in the video. Happens every minute or so. Any idea what this might be? The original dvds don't stutter.

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

You don't need DVCPRO 50 PAL, as that means a bitrate of 50 Mbit/s and DVD video is encoded with 7-8 Mbit/s at maximum.

You can use the normal DV PAL codec for a normal edit, which has a bitrate of 25 Mbit/s (3.125 MByte/s).

I don't know where the stutter is from, but maybe your hard drive can't sustain a constant bitrate of 50 Mbit/s (only 6.25 MByte/s), which would be strange. How is the drive connected?

The other thing is, that the MPEG-2 codec used for DVD video uses keyframes, meaning not every frame is compressed, but only ever 25th or 10th frame (depending on the settings I think), and the rest is interpolated.
    Maybe it was set to 1500 frames (60 seconds)?

I hope that helps somehow and is not a lot of bollocks (it's already late here).

3. trudd macrumors regular

trudd

Agreed, DVCPro is a bit much.

I've never used MPEG Streamclip. I would recommend trying Handbrake.

4. slu macrumors 68000

slu

Do not use handbrake. This will compress to mp4, which is a poor editing format. I am not sure what your issue is. I have had nothing but success using MPEG Streamclip to convert DVDs and VOBs to NTSC-DV and then editing in FCE.