Problem with multi user permissions

Discussion in 'macOS' started by adamzx3, Jan 28, 2011.

1. adamzx3 macrumors regular

adamzx3

I work at a small print shop and we have 2 imacs that are used for the art and production. Two people are working part time and are sharing one computer. We are running into read only problems with the multi user computer (Also no AD / domain server either).

I tried making two user profiles but there are read only problems when user a tries to access user B's files. Each user has a Jobs folder in their user folder. User C is on a the 2nd imac and access's the jobs with a share, which authenticates with that persons credentials, allowing him to read/write.'

Is there a way to make a directory available to a group of users ( or even individuals)?

2. LPZ macrumors 65816

Could you make a single folder named Jobs and place it in /Users/Shared? Both users should be able to read/write there.

3. adamzx3, Jan 29, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 29, 2011

adamzx3 thread starter macrumors regular

adamzx3

Perfect! Thanks that would work well :D

**Edit**

I just tried creating and saving a new doc into that directory, then logging off and opening with the 2nd user, but it comes up read-ony.

Since both accounts are admins, the only work around I have found is to drag a copy the their desktop/home folder and then it applies their permissions. The 2nd work around is right clicking on the jobs folder and apply to enclosed items.

Any other idea's?