problem with my 13 inch macbook pro early 2011

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by hellrising, May 26, 2011.

1. hellrising, May 26, 2011
    Last edited: May 26, 2011

hellrising macrumors newbie

Hi guys so the other day i took my macbook pro in to get it checked because the battery was draining way too fast (100% charged only lasts like 2 hours). So I dropped it off at the apple store and they called me a few days later to pick it up saying it was repaired and that it was only a software problem so they reinstalled the OS. However, after using it for a few days I noticed that the reason why the battery was draining so fast is because sometimes the build in FAN just starts to run full blast when the cpu is not even on heavy usage. I checked the activity monitor and there wasn't any tasks thats hogging up the cpu. Before this problem happened, I always use my macbook pro to serve the web and take notes during lecture. This would last me for a good 7+ hours. When the problem comes up randomly, it would last me for only 2 hours. I tried resetting PRAM and SMC, it would temporary fix the problem. However, at random times the fan would started spinning at full speed and I would have to shut down my macbook pro and turn it back on in order for it to return back to normal status. Do you guys have a solution for me? I live like 40min away from the apple store and I hate driving back and forth just to get my computer checked with the issue unresolved.

2. sketdansu macrumors member

SMCfancontrol

i had this problem once and my solution was smcfancontrol to manually adjust the fanspeed