Problem with my 20 incher, and dont know what to do

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by The.316, Feb 8, 2011.

1. The.316 macrumors 65816

The.316

I have an older 20" iMac, mid 06 model. It was working ok, before it crapped out on me about 4 months ago. This is what happened:

First...I would get freezes from time to time, and I would have to hard reset it. I would get screen flinching often, and it seemed that I had some type of video card problem. After I did some factory resets, I wasnt getting the problem as much.

Second...I decided to install Win 7 on it as well, and went through the install fine. Once I did a reboot, I couldnt get it out of the :apple: logo screen. After a few minutes, I would get a flashing folder icon on the screen. The Win 7 disc is stuck in the machine too btw.

Now I have tried all type of key combos at the start, but I cant get any type of response from the keyboard. I tried removing all the cables, removing the power cable, turning it on just with the power cable, but nothing seems to work, and I do not know what to do. Like I said before, its almost five years old, and I have no warranty on it. I bought it in the US, and live in Greece now, and while I have the i7 27 incher, I still would like to have this one around. If anyone has any ideas/suggestions/tips, ANYTHING, my ears are open.

2. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

Check the link in my sig for possible fixes. You may need to install a new hard drive.

3. LPZ macrumors 65816

Which probably isn't worth paying someone to do, and is a decidedly non-trivial do-it-yourself job. (I know, because I did it this summer for this machine, an iMac4,1. Got a 500GB Seagate drive for $40 and set of screwdrivers for $10; other than time that's all it cost me.)

4. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

Yep. It's a pain. Did it on my daughter's 17". Time, patience and a set of torx drivers is what's needed.

5. iMouse, Feb 13, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 13, 2011

iMouse macrumors regular

Like flopticalcube said, it is likely a dying hard drive. Before going to purchase a new drive and taking the time to tear it apart and put it back together again, (only to find out it was something else) get a copy of DiskWarrior and run a scan from the CD/DVD.

DiskWarrior is not only great for data recovery, but it reads SMART status and can detect bad clusters or issues such as a failing motor that may be intermittent.

Bad RAM or overheating CPU/GPU can yield similar results to what you're experiencing. You might want to consider running a memory test using the following link before opening the unit as well.

http://matt.ucc.asn.au/memtest/

The 2006 iMacs were a **tch to deal with as the EMI shielding is this plastic-like material that tears very easily. Once you get the bezel off, you may want to use a hair dryer on the edges of the shielding to allow the glue to let go of the material easier. It also helps leave the glue tacky for when you put it all back together.

http://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Repair/...C-2105-and-2118-Hard-Drive-Replacement/1092/1