Problem with my 3GS (UK)

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by rossgumbrell, Sep 13, 2010.

1. rossgumbrell macrumors regular

I bought an iPhone 16gb 3GS (White) last week from a nice guy in a bar.
    Worked like a charm but as of yesterday, its stopped working.

Im on Vodafone UK and the phone was Vodafone locked so no problems there. It now gets zero signal anywhere i go, nada. However, the odd thing is i still get 3G connectivity so i can access the internet, emails etc.

The vodafone UK carrier message is displaying in top left corner with the 3G signal next to it but just no signal bars.

My first thought was: IMEI has been blocked (either dodgy [stolen] phone or the guy has listed it as lost and claimed on insurance). But iv checked out the IMEI on:

http://www.numberingplans.com/?page=analysis&sub=imeinr

And its coming up fine - not barred or anything. Also, it wouldn't explain why i am still getting 3G internet on it!? Iv checked the serial number on apple and its under warranty until February 2011. Shall i just bring it down there? The last thing i want to do is get done for 'handling stolen goods' or something but im miffed that my new iPhone isnt working.

I really hope this isnt going to be a lesson hard learned and not buy second hand phones of strangers (but who could say no for £200!?)

:apple::apple::apple:

2. AlexisV macrumors 68000

AlexisV

I would just get a new sim from Vodafone and start from scratch.

3. Ingster macrumors 6502

Ingster

I'd second that, and ask for an iPhone sim, as it may have a different carrier software

4. David The Scot macrumors newbie

of-course it was stolen!

people with legitimate phones do not sell them in the pub for £100 less than the going rate!

But maybe it has not been blocked and changing the sim will do it.

but it will certainly get blocked at some point.

5. Dr McKay macrumors 68040

Dr McKay

Going to sound stupid, but have you tried turning it off and on again? I had a problem similar to yours with my 3G. I realized it had been on for 6 months solidly, never allowing to be turned off. I forced a hard reset by holding the standby + the home button down untill it had turned off, and turned back on again. Signal came back instantly.

6. Nintendolinky macrumors 6502

First thing your phone isnt stolen or blocked, when networks block them they wont get any signal at all anyway, the same thing happened to my old 3GS last year, (before I got the iPhone 4). Don't worry about thinking they might say your handling stolen goods, People sell there phones all the time. I went to my local apple store and explained the situation that I had no signal so couldn't make any calls but weirdly I could still go on the Internet. The nice women swapped it over without any issue and registered the phone under my name. Dont worry about it just take it in, it will be fine.

7. rossgumbrell thread starter macrumors regular

Well, i decided to take it into my local Apple store. Turned out the IMEI wasnt blocked and was indeed a faulty antenna problem! Anyway, they swapped it over for a brand new one with warranty until March 2011, registered in my name and all! :D

Very VERY happy with it. Thanks for all the input guys!! :)