Problem with my Airport Express

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by atacinus, Sep 15, 2009.

1. atacinus macrumors 6502

Hi all - I have an airport express to pump music to my speakers, but use an airport extreme as my primary network - I had a problem with the extreme and had to reset it to factory settings - when it came back online I gave it a new name etc. and set it up - internet works great, but the airport express is now offline...I've tried resetting it by holding down the reset button for 10 seconds and also holding down the reset button as I plug it in...neither does anything and I cannot get the airport express software to recognize it...it only lists my airport extreme...any help?!

Thanks!

2. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

To see the Express, you would need to connect to its Airport network, which it defaults to when resetting to factory settings. You could instead, plug into the Express, and disable your Airport Wireless to see it and make changes.

TEG

3. atacinus thread starter macrumors 6502

Not sure I understand what you mean...after I had "reset" the airport express by holding down the reset button for 10+ seconds I waited for a min. so it could reboot or whatever...and then loaded the airport utility and only saw my extreme network - see picture here: http://twitpic.com/hvpmh

Thanks!

4. SqB macrumors 6502

best/quickest way to configure the express is to plug an ethernet cable from your computer directly into it. if it hasn't been configured (i.e. fresh from reset) it's not going to join your current network and will show up as a different network. i prefer to configure them with the ethernet cable and turning the wifi off on the computer i have connected. once configuration is complete, if i can hit the network from the computer, i know it's working properly.