Problem with my brand new iMac 27"

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Duras, Jul 29, 2011.

1. Duras macrumors newbie

I start with saying that I got my iMac 26th july, thats only 3 days ago.

The night of 26th instead of turning the computer off I only put it in rest mode and morning of 27th the computer woke me up with some looped sound, bug or whatever. It sounded like DUH DUH DUH... No one had touch the computer and still it had woke up from the "rest".

The Computer froze once that day so i had to restart it by holding the power button. Never happend again though.

Now sometimes when i start the computer and going on the net, using mostly Google chrome and sometimes safari the sound problems start again. It goes Duh duh duh duh duh.. often when i type something it stops. (Dont have to be newly started, it can happen when after a while too but mostly when its new started.)

This have been happening around 5-7 times, 2 of the times when the sound stops, the last "DUH" has been a loud bang. Sounding somehow like some sort of electric fuse gone off.

Since i just got the computer im afraid something is not right.

I've upgraded the RAM to 16 GB from 4GB. Thats all I've done.
    Have been playing games on it mostly. (World of Warcraft)

Thanks for any help i can get.

// Duras

2. Duras thread starter macrumors newbie

I can now tell you that its happening almost every time i start the computer. I start Google chrome and not a sound but when i press the adress bar the sound starts, when i press again or typing it stops. The mouse also starts to blink.
    This can also happen if the first thing i do when i've started google chrome is to press the red light (Close button).

The sound is really fast its like some stuck something in a bike wheel, its that fast.

3. Duras thread starter macrumors newbie

I think i have discover what sound it is. It sounds like it tries to type. its the same sound you get if you hold any key and try to type when you cant. Thats probably why it stops when i type anything.

4. Glen Quagmire macrumors 6502a

Take the memory you added out of the computer and just use the 4GB of RAM that came from Apple. Does it still happen?

5. Duras thread starter macrumors newbie

Called and talked to apple suport. We tried to change the keyboard and it did work. So it was probably something wrong with the keyboard, they will send me a new one.

Feels great that I didnt had to send it in for repair.
    Problem seems to be solved! This problem aside im very pleased with the computer so far, a great buy!

6. AppleNewton macrumors 68000

AppleNewton

i dont think it was the keyboard that sounds like a internal hardware issue.

alot of 27" of late have been experiencing that issue, mine included.

does it do what it is shown in these videos?
    http://vimeo.com/user6283317/videos

Also, what brand of memory did you install upto 16GB in the iMac?

7. Duras thread starter macrumors newbie

8. mac-ho macrumors member

It goes DUH DUH DUH. Maybe I should take my kids to the Apple Store?

9. AppleNewton, Aug 2, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 3, 2011

AppleNewton macrumors 68000

AppleNewton

Same RAM modules I installed in mine.
    I'd try reseating the ram modules, see if that doesnt help.

does the computer freeze during the random noises?

10. Abazigal macrumors 604

Abazigal

Sounds similar to a kernel panic issue a friend of mine had (his imac came with an offer of free ram upgrade, but the salesman used some cheapo ram which caused even more problems). :confused: