Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DaveyandGoliath

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 8, 2009
This is super agrivating.
I have a brand enw 15" mbp
and i had my downloads and documents folders on the right

they were in stacks and i accidentally pulled downloads off... POOF, thats gone.
Couldnt get that back.

Grabbed the documents and were able to move it around in the dock but once i pulled that off...poof.

Tried to get any of them back. nope.

Went into finder/ name of my mac and tried to drag either back into the dock.. FAIL.

I know...to the right of the dotted line. still doesnt work.
NO FOLDERS will get allowed to add to the dock near trash can.

spinnerlys

Sep 7, 2008
forlod bygningen
Have you tried it from the right side of the FInder window, like in the following example?

Or did you use the Sidebar?

app_folder_dock_5.png

Also, did you restart you Mac and tried it again?

And if all of that didn't help, does repairing permissions do?

DaveyandGoliath

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 8, 2009
Picture didnt show up.
I tried on from dragging from the main finder window i get, into the dock on both left and right side.

Ive tried making the finder a 3 pane field and dragging it from there.
Also i put DOWNLOADS and and DOCUMENTS on the sidebar of finder and tried dragging it from there.

sammich

macrumors 601
Sep 26, 2006
Sarcasmville.
Try this: open up Terminal (found in Applications -> Utilities). Copy and paste this into the Terminal window and press enter:

Code:
defaults write com.apple.dock persistent-others -array-add '{ "tile-data" = { "list-type" = 1; }; "tile-type" = "recents-tile"; }' & killall Dock

This will add a 'recent' things stack. Maybe this will give you some room to drag stuff in. You dock will vanish for a second, then reappear, with what should be a 'Recent Applications' (you can change this by right clicking on it) stack.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.