Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

guineapirate

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 8, 2011
Hi

i have an early macbook black. My drive is a MATSHITADVD-R UJ-857 and the firmware revision is HBEA. I made a full restore of my system 2 weeks ago and since then im having trouble reading and burning some discs. For example, my retail leopard disc cant be read and it's ejected after 20 seconds (its unscratched). On the other hand, my retail windows xp disc have no problem. I can also read some game DVD with no problem. Its also impossible to read or burn blank dvds (didnt test cds). Since i dont have problem with all discs and because the problem started kind of at the moment i did my restore i think its software related but im not sure about it. Anybody here have an idea on how to fix my problem?

session101

macrumors regular
Aug 25, 2011
Salt Lake City, UT
why did you do a full restore? you could argue that you have a corrupt system and it needs to be formatted and a clean install of OSX maybe to help you out, if could be also that your drive just so happened to fail at this convenient time also.. you can make a boot/install from a flash drive and not use the cds too

killerrobot

macrumors 68020
Jun 7, 2007
Can another mac read your Leopard disk?

After your system restore have you applied all updates from Apple?

Superdrives can fail and perhaps a visit to Apple will be needed if you answered yes to both the questions above.

guineapirate

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 8, 2011
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

Yes to both questions. the thing is that the drive still read some discs but dont read others. How can that be hardware related? Do you think cleaning the drive could help? Going to the hardware store is my last option because apple's answer to most issues is to replace it without even trying to repair it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.