Problem with my Mac hibernating

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by getatkyill, Feb 1, 2010.

1. getatkyill macrumors regular

So..apple couldn't help me via phone but I hope someone can understand my issue I'm having. Lately, when I'll leave my Mac alone (standby) for few mins eventually it will go completely black or in hibernate mode. Then normally you can resume by clicking the mouse or hitting a key and they desktop will appear.

However, in my case..when I hit a key or click the mouse, nothing happens..it remains black & I'm forced to manually restart by holding the power button and obviously this isn't good for the hard drive.

If someone could please help me or point me in the right direction, I'd appreciate it very much.

2. nj-mac-user macrumors 6502

nj-mac-user

Based on the fact that you're using a mouse I'm assuming this is a desktop and not a macbook? Is your keyboard and mouse both wireless? May sound like a silly question... but does it wake when you simply press the power button (not hold)?

3. iThinkergoiMac macrumors 68030

I would also point out that Macs don't actually hibernate, they sleep. Sounds like a small distinction, but it can be quite misleading. Hibernation is when the computer saves the state of the RAM to the HDD (along with everything else) and then actually physically shuts down. You could remove it from power and plug it in days, weeks, months, whatever later and it would boot back. Sleep is when the computer simply goes into a low-power mode (typically just enough power to keep the info in the RAM) but still requires power to keep that information there.