Problem with my macbook, please help!

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by wezbarnes, Feb 27, 2009.

1. wezbarnes macrumors newbie

I am having a problem with my refurbished recently bought macbook. But it sucks that the problem occured after the 90 days.
    I cannot install updates or even do anything without the administrators name and password. I set up the name and password when I first got it and when I log in it logs in fine but just when I want to install updates it gives me a message saying that : You must type an administrator's name and password to make changes to Software Update.

And I know for certain that the name and password are correct but it keeps on giving me this message when I try make any changes. I have even tried changing the name and password as well but still no luck.
    When I type something that is wrong it would tell me : Sorry, you entered an invalid username or password.

I tried calling apple but there no use because my 90 day technical phone line is finished.

I have no idea what is going on. If anyone out there can help me I would be ever so grateful.

Thanks

2. NewMacbookPlz macrumors 68040

NewMacbookPlz

Is your user account setup with administrator privileges?

To check, goto System Preferences-->Accounts. Under you name, does it say "admin?"

If it doesn't, is there a box to check saying "Give administrator rights to this computer"? Check that box. If not, maybe give this a try:

-Insert Your Leopard DVD.

-Shutdown and restart holding down C

-Pick your language

-from the menu go to Utilities

-Pick reset Password

-Pick your hard drive (mines Macintosh HD)

-From the users list select system Administrator

-Enter a password and renter it and select reset

-Quit password reset

-Then quit OS x installer

-Click the restart button

-When your system restarts go to system preferences

-Accounts and click the unlock button (the padlock in the bottom left hand corner)

-It will ask for user name and password

-For user name use the name root and the password you entered in the password reset.

-This should unlock all the greyed out menus.

-Check the Allow changes box to give you back Admin status.

-Restart your computer.

------Credit to user "Galewins" on the apple.com support forums!!!!