Problem with my Macbook pro

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by bball1901, Sep 18, 2009.

1. bball1901 macrumors newbie

I recently updated the software on my Macbook pro and when I restarted, I encountered several problems...
    -My dock no longer appears (even though all of the settings ect. look right and i've tried the terminal solutions)
    -When I press the volume up/down keys it makes the clicking noise but instead of the speaker, all that appears is a white box.
    - In my finder, instead of the usual options, only "MacIntosh HD", and "Network" appear.
    - And every time I click on "About this Mac" nothing happens and when I click "Mac OS X Software" I get a message saying "Your system settings are being updated. Unable to open your preferred Web Browser. Try again in a few minutes."

If anyone has any tips that I could use please let me know. Thank you

2. harry*333 macrumors 6502a

harry*333

my guess is failed update
    i'd put in the boot disc clone the harddrive to an external disc
    and then reintsall

3. JediMeister macrumors 68040

He/she doesn't need to clone the drive unless they haven't backed up previously or if an archive and install preserving is out of the question. Only 10.5 uses the archive and install terminology, 10.6 is just known as a reinstall and there is little to no chance you will lose data unless you have something majorly wrong with the system.