problem with my mbp screen, it keeps showing gray lines

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by muymal, Apr 10, 2009.

1. muymal macrumors member

i got this mbp back in 2007 so it's out of warranty. lately, my screen has been acting up.

when i close the screen and reopen it, from the bottom to about 2/3 of the screen up won't display properly. (lots of gray lines start appearing), i try taking screen shots but that didn't work....the picture shows the screen to be completely normal.

i have to fix this by tapping the back of the screen or kind of push the back toward the screen if that makes sense... sometimes it takes forever to fix it too which is frustrating.

does anyone know how long this would take to be fixed? and how much it would cost? anyone else have a problem like this? is this something that i can take to best buy or maybe one of those apple genius store can fix? the nearest genius bar is about an hour and a half away.... i don't really want to send this in either cuz i m pretty dependent on my computer...

any help would be appreciated. ty

2. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

Have you run Apple Hardware Test? Sounds like it might be an LCD problem.

3. muymal thread starter macrumors member

thnx for the reply, don't have the disc right now, going home tomorrow to try that out. if it is a hardware problem, would that be able to resolve it or it's just going to tell me i have to find someone to fix it? thnx

4. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

If it's a hardware problem, it needs a hardware solution.

5. muymal thread starter macrumors member

seems like i either lost my cd or i left the thing back in hk.... i try using my leopard install cd to do it but doesn't seem like that works... can i use my gf's cd to test it? she has a normal mb. she's not here right now so i would have to ask her when she gets back tomorrow night

thnx

6. BryanSanDiego macrumors newbie

BryanSanDiego

Restart using 'command option p and r'

Resetting PRAM and NVRAM
    Shut down the computer.
    Locate the following keys on the keyboard: Command, Option, P, and R. You will need to hold these keys down simultaneously in step 4.
    Turn on the computer.
    Press and hold the Command-Option-P-R keys. You must press this key combination before the gray screen appears.
    Hold the keys down until the computer restarts and you hear the startup sound for the second time.
    Release the keys.
    Your computer's PRAM and the NVRAM are reset to the default values. The clock settings may be reset to a default date on some models.

Try it let it go through three cycles not just two

7. muymal thread starter macrumors member

ok, i found my disc and ran that extensive test for an hour, nothing is wrong with it.

what does pram and nvram do? would this fix the screen? the screen works perfectly fine if i "fix" it. but if i close the lid a bit harder and then oepn it, those gray lines appear till i "bend" the right side of my screen back a little bit so it appears fine again. sometimes it fixes it, sometimes i have to do that for like 15 mins.

thnx

8. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

If physical manipulation of the LCD fixes the problem, the problem is with the LCD. Take it in to the shop.

9. muymal thread starter macrumors member

ok, can bestbuy fixes something like this? cuz there are no other official apples dealers around here

once again, ty so much for answering my questions

10. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

No. If you're in the US, you can take a look at Apple's database of authorized service centres. There's a corresponding database for Canadian centres.