Problem with my TC - Channel? 802.11n? iStumbler?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by midnacht, Jul 26, 2011.

1. midnacht Guest

Hey MacRumors Community!

My girlfriend moved to my apartment recently. I'm very happy even though I had to rebuild and relocate everything ;)

My beloved TC moved from the top of one of my cupboards to the bottom drawer of a nightstand. Is it possible, that a wooden nightstand tremendously reduces the signal of my TC?!

I can't believe it and so I try to figure out other ways to stabilize the signal.

So here are three questions regarding my time capsule:

- what is the best way to configure it? Should I let it auto-pick a channel or do you recommend to pick one manually? I just chose 48 / 13 (Europe) as -according to iStumbler- no one else in the house uses these channels.

- what about 802.11a/n or b/g/n? I only use Mac products: iPad, iPhone, Mac mini. Any recommendations?

- iStumber shows my TC twice in the list of wireless networks. Why? I only have one. It shows the same network, witrh both 802.11n, same name, but different signal. (Is this related to my channel problem above?)

I am really looking forward to your help!

Best regards

Jan

2. satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer

Other apartments also have wireless. That is why a Mac user using iStumbler so they can find a safe "wireless channel" that no one else is using around them.

What channel are you running the Time Capsule?

3. midnacht thread starter Guest

Hey!

Thanks for your quick reply! I'm running channel 7 and 40 (European channels differ from the US ones right?). At the moment no one else is running these channels. Does a fixed channel have any disadvantages?
    What about the 802,11n thing? Should I leave this to auto-assign?

regards
    Jan

4. psxguru macrumors 6502a

iStumbler is showing it twice because I'm assuming you have a simultaneous dual band TC ie it's broadcasting on 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz at the same time.

You probably have the same SSID name on both frequencies (by default).

Personally, I give a different name to my 5Ghz network as it makes it easier for my Macs to keep it as their preferred network rather than dropping down to the 2.4Ghz network (iphone, ps3 etc)