problem with my wifi ?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by sirslaysalot, Oct 10, 2010.

1. sirslaysalot macrumors member

so sitting right next to my router, my wifi signal strength is at 3 bars (full) and the speedtest app shows like 4mbps while my broadband plan is 8mbps. going to the next room drops that speed to 0.2-0.4mbps. is this normal ? i was under the assumption that wifi n meant better range + speeds but this seems to be worse than my motorola droid. using ios 4.1 w/o jailbreak

2. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

What kind of iphone?
    The further you are from your router the slower your speed might get.
    Just cause your internet speed is rated at 8mbps it doesnt mean at all times you can pull that speed. It will vary during different times and test conditions.

3. sirslaysalot thread starter macrumors member

iphone 4

but in the next room, isn't 5kB/s kinda slow ? i was pulling better speeds with my droid which is only b/g capable :S

and it doesn't even detect more than 2 networks at any one time while my laptop gets 20+

4. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Yes, 5kb is way slow.
    Maybe restart your iphone and router and try it again.
    Typically your phones wifi chip is not as strong as your laptops that can detect further away wifi connections.
    It will just display the closer stronger networks that it can connect to. It will display more than 2 if there is 2 decent connections around.

5. sirslaysalot thread starter macrumors member

i also thought i'd mention that apart from this, my set is completely flawless. no dead pixels, gap in glass, shaky home button, blue tint camera lens etc thats why i'm kinda reluctant to exchange it in case i get a set with problems. i'm asking because i'm not sure what to expect from the wifi. and my computer's not a really fair basis for comparison lol

edit: just saw your reply. is there any utility to test the strength of the signal being received ? like how the hsdpa chip has field test mode

6. sirslaysalot thread starter macrumors member