Problem with new BTO MBO, Apple is being very helpful!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by anth, Oct 29, 2008.

1. anth macrumors member

My new Macbook Pro (a built-to-order 2.53 GHz, 4GB RAM, 320 GB 7200 RPM) arrived yesterday! It arrived just before I was leaving for an exam and then work, so I put the who package under my bed for later. I nearly lacked the self-control!

Back at my apartment last night, I excitedly unboxed the MBP. Beautiful, I though! Them I put it down on my desk. It didn't sit flat - it wobbled. Hmmm... Try another table - still wobbling! Even on a glass surface, the front right corner does not come into contact with the surface, until I put my hand on the trackpad or keyboard.

I was a bit concerned as not only is the machine BTO, it was also purchased with my Student ADC discount. I called apple who put me in touch with the ADC store, then Tech Support, and they were helpful, friendly, and apologetic.

I was told that their engineers wanted my defective machine, and was offered a new replacement or the option of having this one repaired. I chose the new replacement!

I hope it all goes as planned. The screen on this one was impeccable, no dead pixels and looked bright and contrasty to my eye, with good color saturation. I just hope the next one is as well!

Cheers,

Anthony

2. bitesize macrumors member

I have the same problem, on the right corner. Weird thing though, if you close the screen to around 45 degrees, the right corner touches the table perfectly, so I figure it has to be related to the hinge. Try it.

Anyway, brought it back to Apple store, and they ordered another CTO laptop for me.

3. freejack macrumors regular

freejack

I spent over an hour at the Apple store trying to convince them that my BTO MBP was warped. It has the same issue where the right corner doesn't sit flat on the table when the screen is opened. I was able to reproduce it on three different surfaces in the store yet they refused to replace or repair it since they claimed that there was a 'work' table in the back where the notebook sat perfectly flat. That's funny because I've tested it on almost ten tables at work and at home and it wobbles on all of them. I'm so disappointed at the service that I received at the store since they said that everything was working 'according to spec'. The damn thing was wobbling right in from their eyes yet they chose to ignore it!

Fortunately, after a quick call to Applecare, I'll soon be receiving a replacement unit. They were much more willing to resolve the issue and make sure I was satisfied as a customer.

4. infernohellion macrumors 6502

infernohellion

My unibody 17" better not be like yours. :( Apple services in Thailand is well-known to be one of the worst. You never get anything repaired or replaced even if you have AppleCare until you scream at their managers.