Problem with new Kindle app and iPod Touch

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by debroglie, Mar 4, 2009.

1. debroglie macrumors 6502a

debroglie

I've downloaded the Kindle app for my iPod touch and was very excited to start reading.

But, I'm getting stuck at the opening "Register now to get started" screen. I put in my login information and hit register and it waits a little while and then there is a pop-up that says "No Internet Connection. Please check your WiFi or cellular data network and try again"

But, my wifi network is active, and I have tested it in other apps and it is working fine. Furthemore, using my iMac I browsed over to the Amazon "Manage My Kindle" site and it has my iPod touch information on that site and registered, after having gotten the error message in the iPod touch app.

So, it looks like my iPod is registered, but I'm stuck at the registration screen.

Anyone else have this problem or have a solution?

Thanks!

2. britonish macrumors newbie

No Internet Connection - Kindle For iPhone

Having the same problem here. The iPhone shows up in the Kindle account on Amazon's website but cannot get past the registration screen without a "No Internet Connection" error message popping up on the iPhone.

I know I do have an internet connection because I can surf Safari get emails etc.

Any ideas anyone? Tried the usual, uninstall/install, sync. Even called Kindle support but they said it's an Apple problem - ha!

3. debroglie thread starter macrumors 6502a

debroglie

Ahhh! Figured it out!

In the FAQ, they mention that there are problems with special characters in your sign-in and/or password. Well, I don't have any of those... but I do have a hyphen in my name (and hence, account name), so on a hunch I removed that from my account settings via my Mac, deleted the half-registered iPod touch from my devices on Amazon, and logged out.

And now the Kindle app magically works. Boo to Amazon for discriminating against those of us who are hyphenated:p;)

4. britonish macrumors newbie

Yes Works Here Too

Yep - that was the same problem - I had an "&" in the Amazon account name. Removed the "&" - de-registered the half registered iPhone and then logged in on the iPhone. Now works perfectly.

Thanks for the help.

5. MacBlackBook22 macrumors 6502

MacBlackBook22

Is the kindle ap only available to the US store? It isn't showing up yet in the Canadian itunes I have searched and it's not showing ???????