Problem with New Macbook Pro

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Dtp8513, Mar 17, 2011.

1. Dtp8513 macrumors regular

I am having a problem with my new Macbook pro freezing after exiting games such as Starcraft and Football manager. When I quit the game, the computer just hangs (it has done this multiple times). Sometimes its ok, but now its happened around 5-6 times (ive only had the computer 2 weeks or so)

Any suggestions?

Thanks

2. Kyzelios macrumors 6502

Have you tried turning off automatic graphics switching in System Preferences to see if that makes any difference? Some owners report that automatic graphics switching causes issues with some games.

1. Click on the Apple menu.
    2. Click on "System Preferences..."
    3. Click on Energy Saver.
    4. Uncheck the option at the top labelled "Automatic graphics switching".

For more information on automatic graphics switching, please see http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4110.

3. darkeartg macrumors regular

It's a known problem for starcraft. Check mac support on the blizzard forums. Blizzard is working on a fix for this right now

4. Dtp8513 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks... I'll hold off on taking it back to apple. Never had any problems with my old MacBook.

5. Hansr macrumors 6502a

It's not a SC issue it's an Apple driver issue, there are a bunch of full screen apps affected, I think waiting is the only option for now however :(

6. Dtp8513 thread starter macrumors regular

Is it ok to just hold down power button to switch off and switch on? I always heard that wasnt good for the machine lol, but it has been my only option.

7. Hansr macrumors 6502a

It can cause file corruption if anything is open or being written to at the time of restart. If you have an iPhone or another machine you can SSH into the machine and run sudo sync; sudo reboot to gracefully restart it.

8. Dtp8513 thread starter macrumors regular

Is my issue the same one as is being reported on the front page of macrumors or is this different? I only get the hang ups when playing games...

9. darkeartg macrumors regular

this is what i've been doing, Either just press apple + q, or press apple + m and then close it top left corner that way, both works.