Problem with new MacBook

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by rogerthat, Jun 14, 2007.

1. rogerthat macrumors member

Just received my new 13" MacBook. The edge of the case is really sharp. After a few minutes of work on the keyboard, my wrists are getting a little irritated...and so am I. It seems like no attempt was made at all to increase the comfort factor. Not what I expect from Apple.
    Is it just this computer or are all of these models like that?

2. AutumnSkyline macrumors regular

AutumnSkyline

All models are like that. I would have to say deal with it, but I remember hearing some people using a fine sandpaper and having the problem go away.

or you could get these pads

3. rogerthat thread starter macrumors member

Thanks Autumn Skyline

I appreciate the link for the softpads.....and reading the review. I'm glad I'm not the only one bothered by this. I thought about the fine sandpaper route, maybe a dremel tool, but I worry about the residue getting in the keyboard, trackpad, guts. I'm going for the pads!

4. Ashapalan macrumors 6502a

You are not alone :) It irritates me when i use my brothers macbook, i'm all too used to my powerbooks curves...

He seems to have found a way to adapt after a few months though, but if i were to upgrade i would definatly have to get some pads or something.

My sister asked why my wrists were marked after i used it once!

5. jstad macrumors regular

jstad

I would definitely NOT go the Dremel route. You will most likely sand paper down the sides unevenly giving it an odd look and easily cutting down the resale value. Sand paper sounds like the best idea. Keep me posted on those pads, even though i think they are hideous, wondering how they work for you.

6. 66217 Guest

Please don't make this.:eek:

My best advice would be to change the form you type.

7. rogerthat thread starter macrumors member

AVA Softpads

I tried to go to the AVA website to see about ordering some of those soft pads. They only showed that white ones were available and since I have a black MB, I was hoping for something a little darker..a lot darker.
    I tried emailing sales but letter was returned. The company's in Hong Kong.
    The product information says..."doesn't affect closing.....adhesive is reusable????" My wife's pretty handy with these kinds of projects but I wonder what kind of material and especially what kind of adhesive are they using. Maybe she can make some black ones.

8. rogerthat thread starter macrumors member

Pads for the MacBook

I found some soft leather pads, in black and other colors at the Aple Store in Toronto. They're made by Marware and cost about $25. The pad is designed to fit over the area where your hands would rest and have adhesive backing that comes off and reattachs easily. They are very nice looking and feeling. A soft cloth keyboard protector for use when carrying your computer around also is included.

9. rweakins macrumors 6502

rweakins

agreed...easiest solution

10. rhagen macrumors regular

I must type weird or something, because the only thing that touches the notebook are my fingers on the keys. My wrists are way above the edges and even higher then my knuckles. How do people type with their wrist laying down on something.

11. Sounds Good macrumors 68000

I think it's ridiculous that Apple doesn't do something about this after all this time (and all these complaints). Even the guy I spoke to at the Apple store admitted that he was aware of the problem.

12. skwij macrumors 6502

Just an FYI, typing with lowered wrists, low enough to feel the edge of the case, is a sure way to predispose yourself to Carpal Tunnel Syndrome down the road. Your wrists should always be at least the same height as your knuckles, or even better yet, above your knuckles.

13. Foxglove9 macrumors 65816

Foxglove9

14. rhagen macrumors regular

Seriously, people that complain about the sharp edges should really learn how to type correctly. The edges aren't even that sharp as well either.

15. Sounds Good macrumors 68000

It's a notebook computer, not a typewriter. There's a reason why they put a palm-rest on the computer.

16. rhagen macrumors regular

What are you talking about. I remember being in typing classes and the correct way to type is not to rest your wrists.

Here is from a website that teaches you to type correctly.

"Type with your hands and wrists floating above the keyboard, so that you can use your whole arm to reach for distant keys instead of stretching your fingers."

Palm rest...... I just see open space.

17. Sounds Good macrumors 68000

"reach for distant keys"???

I don't know about your keyboard, but my keys aren't that far away.

Reach for it, reach for it.......... got the 8 key!

18. rhagen macrumors regular

Don't get mad at me cause I type "correctly" and don't cut myself on these "really sharp edges" on the MB.

19. Sounds Good macrumors 68000

Don't get mad at us for not going to "typing school."

20. rhagen macrumors regular

Sorry, but it was a typing class at my middle school. Not a typing school, sorry for the confusion. lmao

Go see what feels heavier a balloon or a cannon ball.

21. Sounds Good macrumors 68000

Oh boy. I'm guessing you took this middle school class very recently.

22. anothermacaddic macrumors member

Sharp edges you say? Return it and keep returning them until you get the exact one that you want. Nevermind the demo units!

23. rhagen macrumors regular

You are so cool. Lets go off-topic and make a very intelligent remark in an attempt to make fun of my intelligence. Ohhh boy!
    Super over it now. I am going surfing good luck with your analysis.

24. MIDI_EVIL macrumors 65816

MIDI_EVIL

I am a qualified touch typist, and the correct way to type is wrists floating, not resting.

Rich.

25. rogerthat thread starter macrumors member

Here's what I'm saying

This isn't about the correct way to type. What bothers me is that I've used Apple laptops for years and the issue of a rough edge was about the farthest thing from my mind. The machines operated beautifully and were elegantly designed. This one was made on the cheap, something I never thought I'd say about an Apple. I'd have traded it in if they had a similarly small PowerBook. Next time you're in an Apple Store take a look at the edges on those. I'm through, my wrists are getting irritated