Problem with Numbers

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Jardins de Vin, Sep 23, 2016.

1. Jardins de Vin macrumors 6502a

Jardins de Vin

Hey everyone,

I have a table in Numbers where one column is considered holding a date. I'd like to have all the rows sorted by date. For some reason, this doesn't work…

I've tried it manually, by entering a few different dates. Like:

This is also the order, in which they should be sorted. But for some reason, the date with 2017 always lands in the center. This shouldn't be possible in any scenario, no matter if the table is sorted in ascending or descending order.

So I tried it by entering a function. This time I just used months… for example:

Januar
    Februar
    March

For some reason, again, march always lands in the middle (for example Januar, March, February – or February, March, January) when sorted in both ascending and descending order.

Why is this like that? What am I doing wrong? It's very annoying…

Thanks for any tips you have!

2. Janichsan macrumors 65816

Janichsan

Make sure you have set the correct format for the cells, "Date and Time" in your case. The default "Automatic" option doesn't necessarily recognise your entries as dates.

3. Jardins de Vin, Sep 23, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 23, 2016

Jardins de Vin thread starter macrumors 6502a

Jardins de Vin

Okay, for whatever reason, it works now. I have tried it with "Date & Time" like you said. (earlier, I had just typed in the date myself).

But I had also tried it with the function "Month" and for some reason it didn't work earlier. I didn't try again because I need the full date anyway and it seems to work now. :)

BTW: Is it possible to have the last line (with the results and total amount) at the TOP of the table, instead of the bottom? I have the newest date always at the top of my table, so I don't have to scroll down to see new things but see them right away. It would therefore be practical to also have the total amount line at the very top, to not have to scroll down… :D