Problem with opening programs

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Ossyrial, Jan 19, 2011.

1. Ossyrial macrumors newbie

Hey guys, I have a problem on my Mac. My Mac has several user accounts, but on one of them programs won't work. The only one that works is Finder. ALL the other programs have a question mark. So, I looked up on google and stuff, and it turns out you have to add them to the 'applications' folder. But when I click that, it says I can't open it because my account doesn't have the rights or something. So, the problem is that I have to add my programs to the applications, but I can't ad programs to it, because I'm not the main user. Please Help!

To make a long story short:
    Question mark on applications. Can't add them to the applications folder because I'm a 'standard account'.

2. GGJstudios, Jan 19, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 19, 2011

GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

You don't need to add apps to the Applications folder, because they're already there. The Applications folder is shared by all accounts. If you're having a problem with only one user account, something is wrong with that account. Create a new user account and it should work fine.

One other possibility is that you have Parental Controls on that account, restricting it from accessing selected applications.

3. Ossyrial thread starter macrumors newbie

Bit late reply, but was trying it out. Made a new account and everything was fine.
    Thanks!