Problem with OS upgrade from 10.4.11 to 10.6

Discussion in 'macOS' started by decentjoe, Dec 9, 2010.

1. decentjoe, Dec 9, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 9, 2010

decentjoe macrumors newbie

I have 2 MacBookPro now, one is the previous generation with OS x ver. 10.4.11 and I want to upgrade it to Snow Leopard 10.6 with the bundle disc inside the package that does come with the new generation MacBookPro. I tried it out but it doesn't work and it give out the message something like " the Mac Os cannot install on this computer". Would I really have to buy the SL disc from the retail store in order to do the OS upgrade for my older MBP? Sorry if my english not good><

2. thebrick macrumors regular

thebrick

Sadly, a bundle disc of OSX only works on the exact same generation and spec of hardware.
    You must get another copy of SL retail disc.

3. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

Unfortunately the disks that come with the computers only work with that specific model, so you will need to buy a retail copy of SL if you wish to install it.

4. decentjoe thread starter macrumors newbie

Too bad.. I thought I could save some bucks for the upgrade anyway thank you guys for the fast reply:)

5. Fishrrman macrumors G3

"I want to upgrade it to Snow Leopard 10.6 with the bundle disc inside the package that does come with the new generation MacBookPro. I tried it out but it doesn't work and it give out the message something like " the Mac Os cannot install on this computer". Would I really have to buy the SL disc from the retail store in order to do the OS upgrade for my older MBP?"

No promise that this trick will work, but it's worth a try:

First download the latest "combo updater" from Apple (10.6.5 as of this date). Next, burn the disk image onto a DVD (you will need a "dual layer" 8.5gb disc). Set this aside for the moment.

Get both MacBooks close together with a firewire cable that can connect between the two of them.

Make sure both of them are plugged into a/c power (not off the batteries).

With the power on both OFF, connect the firewire cable between them.

On the PREVIOUS GENERATION MacBook (the one you want to install to), press the power on key and IMMEDIATELY hold down the "T" key and KEEP HOLDING IT DOWN.

The MacBook should start up in "firewire target disk mode" -- you will see only a "firewire icon" displayed on the screen.

Now, go to the newer MacBook. Have your OS install DVD "in hand". In one quick move, you must
    - press the power on button
    - quickly insert the DVD, and
    - hold down the "C" key to force-boot from the SuperDrive

(Note: if this doesn't work, let the MacBook boot from the internal drive, then set the startup disk pref pane to boot from the DVD and try again)

You should now be booted from the install DVD with the old MacBook connected and its internal drive "viewable" to the newer Mac (and the installer app) via target disk mode.

Once the NEW MacBook is booted from the install DVD, proceed just as if you were going to do an install to the newer MacBook, BUT -- at the appropriate moment -- choose to install to the drive on the OLD MacBook instead.

Do the install, IF the installer will let you. If it won't, it won't. But chances are, it MIGHT.

When finished, disconnect everything and see if you can boot from the OLD MacBook.

IF IT BOOTS, immediately create a new account.

Next, take the combo update DVD you created earlier. Put it into the SuperDrive and mount the update on the desktop. Run it immediately.

Reboot.

Get a "good boot"?
    Then I'd say, "you made it!"