Problem with OS X Mavericks

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by MSNK91, Jul 13, 2014.

1. MSNK91 macrumors newbie

Hey guys, I am a total mess when it comes to technology, so please forgive me if my question is really stupid. I had Mac Lion (10.7.5) on my laptop, and I want to download Pages. It said that I needed Mac Os X Mavericks. Anyways, I downloaded it through the App Store, and even though my laptop already acknowledges OS X, it still says that I have version 10.7.5. See attachment. I really want Pages on my laptop, what can I do?

Schermafbeelding 2014-07-14 om 00.11.06.png

2. bigpoppamac31 macrumors 68000

Did you actually run the Mavericks installer??

3. sjinsjca macrumors 68000

sjinsjca

To amplify the point: You probably downloaded the installer into your Downloads folder.

First: You have a complete system backup, correct? Making one is always (ALWAYS) the first step. Fortunately, Time Machine makes it really easy. It does take some time, though. But, do it.

Then. Open a Finder window. To the left you'll see a column of frequently-needed folders. The "Downloads" folder will be one of these. Double click it.

In this folder you will find the Mavericks installer. IIRC it's a .dmg file-- a disk image. Double-clicking it will effectively mount a new disk drive on your machine. It may or may not pop up an install-me? dialog. If it doesn't, try double clicking the mounted disk image to see if there's an installer (most likely a .pkg file) inside, and then double-click that.

You'll have to say yes to a few questions, maybe type in a password, and then leave the machine alone for a while.

Shortly, you'll have an updated machine. Some things are different in Mavericks, but it's a nice OS, and you get Pages, Keynote and Numbers for free, and they're awesome. (Really, it's rather pathetic how badly Keynote whips PowerPoint.)

4. MSNK91 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you for your responses. I actually did complete the installation and according to my App Store, version 10.9.3 is already running on my laptop. But when I click information, I still get 10.7.5. I already restarted my laptop for what it may count. Is it a weird error?

5. bobdamnit macrumors regular

Open Terminal (/Applications/Utilities/Terminal.app) and copy/paste the following into Terminal and hit enter:

Paste the output here, which should look like this:

Which is for OS X Mavericks 10.9.4.

6. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

It sounds like the installer did not complete. Look in your /Applications folder for the Mavericks installer.

7. yjchua95 macrumors 604

Run the installer again. When restarting, hold down Option at the white screen and select the drive that isn't Macintosh HD or Recovery HD. I forgot what's the name of the partition though.

8. Bruno09 macrumors 68020

The Mavericks installer downloaded from the App Store is an application, not a .dmg file, which is in the Applications folder, not the Downloads one.

The Mavericks installer is an application, not a bootable volume.
    Therefore it will not show up when doing an Option boot.

This would only apply when using a bootable installer, such as a USB drive made by using DiskMaker X, for example.

9. yjchua95 macrumors 604

No, what I meant was that the OP should run the installer application first in Lion and follow the instructions. After that, the installer will instruct the OP to restart the computer.

During the restart, the OP should then hold down the Option button and select the partition I mentioned in my previous post.