Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gazfocus

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 3, 2008
Liverpool, UK
Ok, so I ordered a B Grade IcyBox NAS Enclosure and a new hard drive for my Macbook from Overclockers UK on 2nd Jan and during the checkout process they allow you to specify a delivery day.

Anyway, I specified tomorrow (Tuesday) as the delivery day and took the day off work specifically to wait in for it. However, I checked the progress online today and it says 'In our warehouse queue' so I emailed them asking for an udpate, to which they replied that they had problems locating the IcyBox so will be looking for it tomorrow.

Am I right to be annoyed? I'm just concerned now that even though they have already taken the money from my account, they are going to claim they don't have the B Grade anymore and may want to either refund me or charge me full price for a brand new one.

SpaceMagic

macrumors 68000
Oct 26, 2003
Cardiff, Wales
Yes, be annoyed. Phone them and explain how inconvenient it all is!

Just go into work anyway - reclaim your day.

May I ask, why didn't you have the NAS box sent to work? I'm sure they'd prefer that than you taking a day off for a delivery.

gazfocus

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 3, 2008
Liverpool, UK
Yes, be annoyed. Phone them and explain how inconvenient it all is!

Just go into work anyway - reclaim your day.

May I ask, why didn't you have the NAS box sent to work? I'm sure they'd prefer that than you taking a day off for a delivery.

Well, I work at a university's IT Support department and when stuff's delivered it gets swallowed up in the university somewhere and could take a week for it to appear. Plus I thought, if I take the day off, I could use the time to set it up as well.

SpaceMagic

macrumors 68000
Oct 26, 2003
Cardiff, Wales
Ahh. Say no more!

Right, well. Seriously I would consider just speaking to overclockers, especially if they deny your purchase (i.e. can't find the item). They're a pretty decent firm from what I gather and I'm sure they'll be able to help. If they want to offer you the money back, insist on them giving you the retail version for the same cost for the inconvenience.

There's no harm in trying.

weckart

macrumors 603
Nov 7, 2004
Did you check reviews of Overclockers UK before you ordered? I'll bet my bottom bippy you didn't.

If you did, you probably would not have ordered from them in the first place.

kastenbrust

macrumors 68030
Dec 26, 2008
North Korea
Ok, so I ordered a B Grade IcyBox NAS Enclosure and a new hard drive for my Macbook from Overclockers UK on 2nd Jan and during the checkout process they allow you to specify a delivery day.

Anyway, I specified tomorrow (Tuesday) as the delivery day and took the day off work specifically to wait in for it. However, I checked the progress online today and it says 'In our warehouse queue' so I emailed them asking for an udpate, to which they replied that they had problems locating the IcyBox so will be looking for it tomorrow.

Am I right to be annoyed? I'm just concerned now that even though they have already taken the money from my account, they are going to claim they don't have the B Grade anymore and may want to either refund me or charge me full price for a brand new one.

Its Christmas, these things happen. 1 week off, Backlog etc.

I sent a small letter 1st class 1 week ago from London to Birmingham and it only arrived today

VoR

macrumors 6502a
Sep 8, 2008
UK
The most disgusting telephone customer service I've ever experienced was from ocuk :)

That said, I've ordered off them loads in the past (not for ages) and most of the time they've been ok - same with many companies, it's fine when it works and awful when it doesn't.

I'd load up your credit card charge back form while your ringing, and make sure you check your balance afterwards if they do play along.

gazfocus

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 3, 2008
Liverpool, UK
Did you check reviews of Overclockers UK before you ordered? I'll bet my bottom bippy you didn't.

If you did, you probably would not have ordered from them in the first place.

I've used overclockers loads in the past but as when I'm at home (not at university), I only live a few miles away from them and I usually go to collect stuff I buy off them. I have only ever had to order stuff twice and both times it was ok, but this time, they've really p'd me off.

It's more the fact that they didn't bother to contact me to tell me their was a problem, they waited for me to contact them. As far as I can find, as OCUK have already taken the money from my account, they are legally required to supply me with an IcyBox Enclosure for the price I paid, even if they can't find the B Stock.

kid rock

macrumors regular
Nov 11, 2007
London, UK
i have also ordered lots from ocuk before and they have been really good (hate that they use citylink tho :mad: )

but yes you should be pissed and get on the phone to them, you paid for somthing and they havent deliverd, trading standards anyone?

gazfocus

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 3, 2008
Liverpool, UK
Thanks for all your replies. I did email them (rather than phone them) and I received a response on Tuesday morning stating "I am sorry for the inconvience this is been printed in our warehouse and dispatched today if there is a problem I will contact you asap."

However, I have just checked the order status again, and it still says "In our warehouse queue" and no-one from Overclockers has emailed me or tried phoning me to discuss any problems.

Also, the money has now been taken out of my account so according to the Distance Selling Regulations, Overclockers UK have formed a legal contract with me to supply me with the goods I ordered for the price I paid.

What should my next step be?

VoR

macrumors 6502a
Sep 8, 2008
UK
After a previous experience with them after an order issue, I'd be interested to hear their attitude over the phone for entertainments sake :) I'd most likely charge back the payment on my card.
I suspect ordering from a different supplier and getting them to return your payment will be the easiest way to continue. I don't think you'll get anywhere with trading standards, you'll just waste time and get frustrated.
Unfortunately they can't supply what they don't have and faking stock can be quite common.

gazfocus

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 3, 2008
Liverpool, UK
ok, read this for a reply...

Hi,

The icybox we don't have, never did - I've checked the logs and some bright spark scanned the same products into stock twice (the system wouldn't have let them except that they did it 3 days apart!).

I'm sorry for the problems but all I can do is swap the icybox to an alternative (any suggestions?), remove it, or cancel the entire order.

If you can see anything else which may be suitable let me know - if it's a little more expensive I'm sure we can absorb it (upto a point).

I've replied asking them to remove the IcyBox from the order.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.