Problem with partitioning drive to install two operating systems

Discussion in 'macOS' started by thebutler1, Mar 15, 2009.

1. thebutler1 macrumors newbie

So I've already partitioned my hard drive into two sections, one that I would like to run tiger on and the other leopard...I'm using a .dmg file to install leopard so I used a method utilizing disk utility that has me mount the image then restore it to the partition I want to install it on, but every time I try to restore it I get a message... "An error (16) occured while copying. (Resource Busy)" A few other times I tried it gave me different error messages but I can't remember what they are...and now my other partition I tried to restore it to appears as "Mac OS X Install DVD", the file name of the .dmg...help please!

2. Ti_Poussin macrumors regular

Ti_Poussin

I strongly suggest you to use command line ditto to copy the file back and forth from your disk image, ensure you have preserve every information of file when copying a whole system. One other thing you may want to try to backup and restore Leopard is use time machine to backup your system, make a clean install and restore information out of time machine. The time machine solution is far from perfect but should work.

When I copy an OS from drive to drive, use ditto command, if you don't feel save with command line there's some application that do it for you CarbonCopyCloner for example.