Problem with partitions...lost 60GB or so

Discussion in 'macOS' started by MacBook08, Dec 11, 2008.

1. MacBook08 macrumors regular

So I installed Ubuntu on my PC and it encountered an error and doesn't boot any more. I needed to get some files off of the pc so I decided to install Ubuntu on my mac for dual boot and then connect my pc's hard drive to my mac with an external case. It didn't work, at least the installing Ubuntu part. I have a 160GB HD and some how I ended up giving up and erasing partitions so now I have Macintosh HD at 87.9GB capacity, BOOTCAMP at 124.4 MB and "Linux Swap" at 2.5 GB. That adds up to something like 90GB. How do I get rid of "BOOTCAMP" and "Linux Swap" partitions and how do I get them and the missing space back on to "Macintosh HD"? I hope I don't have to do a clean install of Leopard. Thanks.

2. mckyvlle macrumors 6502a

Can you boot in to OS X? If yes, you can use Disk Utility to fix it.

Here's how:
    In Disk Utility, select your hard disk, i.e. the entry for the disk and not the partitions. Then select the Partition tab. Delete the BOOTCAMP and Linux Swap partitions. Finally resize Macintosh HD to fill the entire disk.

This is assuming you don't have data that you need to keep in the BOOTCAMP and Linux Swap partitions.

3. MacBook08 thread starter macrumors regular

Yes I can boot in to OS X. I already tried to delete the partitions; it says "preparing to remove" and stays that way for hours. Forget it. I'll just start over. Stupid PC, I try to fix it and it screws up my Mac. Die PC!