Problem with PayPal and MacMall

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Beaverman3001, Jan 18, 2011.

1. Beaverman3001 macrumors 6502

Ok so, yesterday I attempted to order a MBA with MacMall. I was using my PayPal account, however, their site said PayPal rejected the transaction. Upon checking my PayPal account, the transaction shows as pending, and PayPal promptly emailed me saying the transaction has been made available and it is waiting on MacMall to accept/process it.

I emailed MacMall about the situation, as they never assigned me a order number or show any orders associated with my account. They asked for information about the transaction (PayPal transaction number and such) and said they would get it corrected. It has been over 24 hours now and I have yet to hear another word from them and still have no transaction showing on my MacMall account. PayPal still shows it as pending.

The aggravating part is I overnighted the order to have it today (lol).

Has anyone else had a issue like this and knew how to solve it? So far my multiple emails to MacMall have been fruitless, granted they can only respond so fast.

2. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Email MacMall and PayPal again.

Most of the time, over-nighting a computer puts the transaction in the suspicious category. And also, merchants states shipping time is the time AFTER PAYMENT IS APPROVED.

3. Beaverman3001 thread starter macrumors 6502

MacMall cannot seem to find the transaction. I'm not seeing why I would email PayPal, their end seems to be fine since they are making the money available to MacMall, just MacMall isn't finding it from the sound of it.

They did just email me back asking for invoice numbers and such so hopefully that helps, bit frustrated with them now :/

4. r0k macrumors 68040

r0k

Paypal is the root of most evil. I bought some tool cabinets through Sears.com using paypal. Sears charged my paypal account 3 times. Yes that's right I was triple charged. Then they said they were out of stock and promised to refund the charges. It took over a month for the dust to settle and a lot of the blame lies with Paypal. They tend to hold on to money and take forever to refund a transaction that has just been reversed. It never ceases to amaze me that money can leave my account at the speed of light but any refund seems to be sent by one legged carrier pidgeon.

Make sure the MacMall people understand you want to cancel your transaction so they don't resubmit the charge and start a new 30 day clock.

When shopping online, it is fine to use paypal for $10 ebay items but not for anything expensive. It is better to use a credit card. At least a credit card company will answer the phone if you call them to complain. To give you an idea how useless Paypal phone support is, I'd rather talk to that "peggy" guy in the Capital One commercial who rings the gong and says "happy times" for the 50 cent rebate for a quarter million points than talk to anybody at Paypal.

5. Beaverman3001 thread starter macrumors 6502

PayPal is definitely a terrible company! However, we finally sorted it out. I had MacMall submit a cancellation of the pending order (even though they still didn't see the order) and resubmitted my order and it went through fine. Seems like they were having some quirks in their system on Monday after their site being down all weekend.

6. jetblk328i macrumors 6502

Yes Paypal is a very annoying company. Once, it wouldnt let my order go through cause I was shipping to an address different from my confirmed address. Glad its worked out though!

7. Beaverman3001 thread starter macrumors 6502

Well I thought it was finally fixed, now I'm having to jump through hoops to verify my order/identity. Gotta love how things have changed, now you are guilty til proven innocent when purchasing something online.

8. 1rottenapple macrumors 65816

Yeah paypal is AWEFUL!!!! Its near impossible to talk to someone when you have a fraud charge on your account, unlike an actual credit card company. Paypal/Ebay, they are all the same theives. Good luck OP and have fun.

9. Beaverman3001 thread starter macrumors 6502

Luckily it all worked out after making a few phone calls, new MBA arrives today :)