Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

s&kp

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 7, 2018
I am running Mac OS server 5.1.7 with OS x 10.11.6
I have a shared folder with permissions set as Read/Write for everyone. I have propagated these permissions using File Sharing on the Server to all child items.
The problem is that if someone then edits a file within that folder(eg. excel spreadsheet), the permissions of that file then change to Read only for everyone else except the person who made the change. I don't understand why the permissions are changing. How can I make the files stay as Read/Write for everyone ?

Thanks for your help. David

hobowankenobi

macrumors 68020
Aug 27, 2015
on the land line mr. smith.
This has been a long standing issue with Server, and it does not work the way one expects regarding inheriting permissions. You are not alone, as it does not make sense.

Are you familiar with ACLs and POSIX?

What OS are the machines that being used to access/edit files?

sevoneone

macrumors 6502a
May 16, 2010
Jumping in here too as we are having a similar issue with macOS 10.3.4 and Server 5.6. Is there no longer a GUI for setting ACL/Inheritance?

They've removed the Storage tab that was in earlier versions of Server where you had the ability to set Inheritance for any shared folder. So annoying Apple thinks that the basic File Sharing features/gui in system preferences are sufficient for any use where multiple users are accessing the same file share.

hobowankenobi

macrumors 68020
Aug 27, 2015
on the land line mr. smith.
Jumping in here too as we are having a similar issue with macOS 10.3.4 and Server 5.6. Is there no longer a GUI for setting ACL/Inheritance?

They've removed the Storage tab that was in earlier versions of Server where you had the ability to set Inheritance for any shared folder. So annoying Apple thinks that the basic File Sharing features/gui in system preferences are sufficient for any use where multiple users are accessing the same file share.

Agreed.

Left my last Mac Server at 10.12 for the time being, for several reasons, including this. I switched
main file server over to Synology, and it has been great. Better overall than Mac Server ever was...for file serving.

I think if I was still running Server for file sharing on 10.13 and beyond, I would be tempted to buy a good GUI tool like Tinker Tool System just for permissions. Which is silly, any way you look at it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.