Problem With Photosmart C4500 Series After SL Upgrade

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by BenEndeem, Aug 29, 2009.

1. BenEndeem macrumors 6502

For some reason I am unable to access the network settings for my printer (C4585) under Snow Leopard. Though the System Preferences printer utility is very useful it does not cover this, meanwhile the HP software installed previously gives an error message when I attempt to log on to the Network Utility.

I have tried the HP site, but can't seem to find any additional drivers.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

2. dandylion macrumors newbie

Possible Fix for you

I had a similar problem with the C4500 after SL upgrade. My printer window showed an error saying that I needed a software update to use it. But no such thing seemed to exist. And all info out there seemed to suggest that the two should be compatible.

My fix:
    1) Go to System Preferences.
    2) Go to Print & Fax
    3) Under "Printers" at the left, hit the + button
    4) You will have the opportunity to pick your same printer, but it will have a slightly different designation. Do that, i.e., pick it, and click on "Add".
    5) Then choose it from your list of printers.
    6) Then try to print something, and if you have a choice of printers, choose that one with the new designation. Do this just to make sure that it is all linking up. (Mine did.)
    7) Then go back to the System Preferences/Print & Fax area and REMOVE the "wrong" printer, i.e., the one with the old designation. You do that by highlighting it (the wrong one) and clicking on the - button below that column.

This cleared up my problem completely.