OS X Problem with PS3 Controller

Discussion in 'Mac and PC Games' started by crookedyouth, Jan 17, 2014.

1. crookedyouth macrumors newbie

I've been using my PS3 controller to game on my mac for over a year now and never had problems. Recently I decided to use it again. Now when I connect my PS3 Controller through bluetooth (same as when I used to in the past,) my mouse cursor shoots into the top right corner and can move a little but immediately shoots back to the corner after moving it. I discovered that if I hold the right analog stick to the left, I can move the mouse freely, but upon releasing the stick, it shoots back to the right corner.

I don't have any programs running that would be using the controller.

Any ideas? I've never had this problem and it is extremely frustrating.

2. cal6n macrumors 68000

cal6n

It might help to know what version of OS X you're running.

Are you running any third-party input device management software? I recall reading somewhere that USB Overdrive can cause problems. I use SteerMouse to configure my Logitech mouse and I can use both PS3 and PS4 controllers without any issues.

3. crookedyouth thread starter macrumors newbie

Currently running 10.8.5

I really don't think I have any input device management programs running. The only programs I use with the controller are gamepad companion and the built in controller software in my emulator, but neither of those things are even running when I encounter this problem.

4. cal6n macrumors 68000

cal6n

I'm on Mavericks now so I can't offer much help, I'm afraid. The pairing is much simpler than in Mountain Lion and I suspect a lot of improvements have been made.

Have you tried deleting the controller in the bluetooth prefs and re-pairing it?

5. crookedyouth thread starter macrumors newbie

I tried deleting it but it still didn't work :(

I'm going to update Mountain Lion right now and if that doesn't work I might just update to Mavericks to give that a shot.

Thanks so much for your help though, I've been having this problem for a while now haha.

6. yukiuchiha10 macrumors newbie

help ps3 controller problem

my boyfriend just recently bought a new ps3 and the system wont sync the controllers and they worked fine with his old one the cord for the controllers isnt the original one. he is getting frustrated and im trying to figure out the problem. i would really appreciate it :D