Problem with purchased applications

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by enzojauregui, Apr 9, 2010.

1. enzojauregui macrumors member

Hello! I'm having a very big problem with the applications i purchased in itunes. I recently reformated and reinstalled mac osx and now i don't know how i can recover all the apps i purchased. I hope someone can help. I don't want to waste all the apps that i purchased :|

2. tadad1 macrumors 6502a

tadad1

If you log into iTunes with the same account they were purchased on you can just re-download them for free, when you select "Buy" you will get a message saying you have already purchased the app and may download it for free. After a format you will also have to re-authorize your computer to that account.

3. enzojauregui thread starter macrumors member

if that's the case, then its great. just wondering, i heard that you can have the app up to 5 computers right? so if reformatted the computer, and redownloaded it with the same computer, i should still use it with 4 other computers right? not 3?

4. JediMeister macrumors 68040

I don't think Apple tracks the number of computers you have apps stored on, authorization only applies to music and video content to my understanding. tadad1 is correct, any app you have downloaded previously, whether free or paid, as long as you are signed into the same iTunes account which you downloaded it through, can be re-downloaded free of charge.

5. r0k macrumors 68040

r0k

This is not necessarily true for in-app purchases. These don't seem to be backed up anywhere so if your device goes belly up and you had bought some stuff in an otherwise free app, that stuff will be missing until you buy it again. When you do, if you are expecting to see the "this is free because you already own it" dialog you will be disappointed. If your device is replaced, it is time to contact the developer and ask for a workaround for in app purchases unless you don't mind paying again.

6. enzojauregui thread starter macrumors member

thanks for all the replies! it really helped, luckily i didn't buy using the ipod touch, i bought them in my mac, so i guess they were stored. i was able to download them again for free, so i guess i'm kinda lucky, haha. it would have been very irritating if i had to buy them again :D

7. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

Not true I reinstalled navigon last week after removing it during a blonde moment. When I went to check on in-app purchases and selected to download it stated I had already paid and the download would be free.

8. iThinkergoiMac macrumors 68030

Right, but the person you quoted was saying it wasn't "necessarily true", meaning it wouldn't be true for all in-app purchases. When it's an in-app purchase, it's up to the developer of the app to track your purchases, not iTunes. So while it's true for Navigon, it may not be true for another app.