Problem with re-installing the Mac OS

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by gtirtha, Feb 1, 2009.

1. gtirtha macrumors newbie

Hi,
    I have Mac OS 10.5.5 and Windows XP SP2. It was working fine before the day it refused to boot in Mac OS. Still its booting in XP. Now I thought of re-installing Mac OS again keeping my old data intact. With the help of Mac OS installation CD 1, I got the option that I can install new OS keeping old data as an archive. I tried to do that, it starts with checking installation CD consistency (which is optional, but I let it check), after this check, it started installing OS but after 5-10 min it gives me the error:

"Mac OSx could not be installed on your computer. The installer could not validate the contents of the 'BaseSystem' package. Content the software manufacturer for the assistance.
    Click Restart to restart your computer and try installing again"

I tried several times with failure only.

Please help me!! What could be the possible reason behind this. What to do now??
    Regards,
    Tirtha

2. uicandrew macrumors 6502a

i don't know what is happening, but are you using the original software restore discs that came with your computer, or are you using someone else's?

software restore discs are very much machine specific.

3. gtirtha thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi yes I am very much using the original disc provided with my Mac Book. From the same disc only I have installed drivers in Windows XP.

4. ppc750fx macrumors 65816

It sounds like you've got a scratched/damaged disk on your hands. Have you tried installing from different media?

5. gtirtha thread starter macrumors newbie

No I haven't. Can I try that?? Means, will other Mac Book CDs work??

6. ppc750fx macrumors 65816

Yes, you should try that. CDs from the same model will work. A Leopard retail CD will almost certainly work.