Problem with Rebate for Exchanged iPhone

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by jgeist1, Sep 14, 2007.

1. jgeist1 macrumors newbie

I bought an iPhone in the middle of July and had been happily using it. I was reading through the forums and noticed a post titled "I've never felt my iPhone vibrate." I thought to myself I haven't felt mine vibrate either. After reading the post, and some replies I found out that it is supposed to vibrate when flipping the switch on the side. Mine did not do that.

Before they announced the price drop I went into the Apple Store to see if they could do anything and they told me to do a restore. I went home, did the restore and it still didn't work. So I came back the following weekend (which happened to be after the price drop) and told the Genius Bar that I had done the restore and it still didn't work. The guy looked over my phone, did a few things, and then said he would swap it out. I thought that was great because I didn't have to wait a couple days and be without the phone.

The Problem is that now when I tried to do the store credit website this morning it said that my phone is not eligible. :( And then reading down through the FAQ it states:

"Returns and Exchanges
    If I exchanged my iPhone, will I still qualify for the offer?

Yes, but only if you exchanged your iPhone for another iPhone on or before August 21, 2007."

How was I supposed to know that!! I had a defective phone since I had purchased it. If I would've realized I was going to miss out on the rebate, I would've waiting to get my phone fixed.

Does anyone know the appropriate number to call to explain my situation? I tried calling Apple's Promotion Rebate line, but it just rang and rang and the disconnected me.

What should I do!?!

-Jason

2. sanford macrumors 65816

Call your Apple Store and raise hell. Get the GM on the phone. If necessary at him or her. Mention incompetence that computer company can't figure out how to handle such a plausible scenario. It's only the way their web rebate system works, the way it matches serial numbers, since they've extended the 14-day return window for full $200 price protection refund to 19th September, but you're not eligible for that either since you actually bought your phone in July.

So, beat down the GM at your local Apple Store if necessary. Oncee he or she understands your situation he will just give you a $100 Apple Store gift card. They have the latitude to do that and they will if you are persistent, trust me. If he just flat refuses, get his direct report's phone number at retail region or corporate. You'll get a special issue $100 store credit, trust me, because the intent is for you to get one, it's just the web verification system can't match it up -- it thinks you should go get a $200 credit but since it's an exchanged phone you bought in July, you can't get that either.

Gut up. Backbone. Be an iron solider about it.

3. nateDEEZY macrumors 6502a

I'm on my fourth iPhone and I was eligible, already printed out the rebate form as well. All of the exchanges were done by the genius bar because of problems.

4. badtzmaru macrumors 6502

I also have an exchanged iphone. The rebate worked for me.

5. jgeist1 thread starter macrumors newbie

When did you guys get your iPhone exchanged?

Was it before August 22nd?

-Jason

6. nateDEEZY macrumors 6502a

I got it exchanged mid July and through like 1st or 2nd week of August.

7. jgeist1 thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah, The part of the FAQ that I quoted said that phones exchanged after August 22nd were not eligible.

-Jason

8. aonflux macrumors member

worked me as well. very cool! now I have to decide whether I wait for Leopard or get the Apple Care Protection for my iPhone or......:confused:

9. kwood macrumors 6502a

kwood

It could just be a glitch in the system. Try calling Apple and explain the situation calmly. I am sure one the the Apple Care reps can help out.

10. aristobrat macrumors G5

I exchanged my iPhone on 8/30.

The serial number off of my exchanged iPhone didn't work, but the serial number off of the iPhone I had before that worked fine.

Look at your original receipt. The serial number should be printed on it. Use that.

11. jgeist1 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks, I'll have to look at my receipt when I get home from work to try it.

-Jason