problem with redsn0w 3.13

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by mayakukla, Aug 26, 2010.

1. mayakukla macrumors regular

I was helping a friend with a 3g who's wifi antenna is broken. I was trying to take the proper 3.13 (1,2) firmware and activate and unlock it with redsnow and install it. However, whenever loading the firmware into redsnow, it would always give an error and refuse to read the firmware. I also tried other ipsw files and it would not read them. Am I doing something wrong?

2. esadb macrumors 65816

esadb

if hes on firmware 3.1.3, you should be using 3.1.2 in redsn0w. Also make sure your using the latest version of redsn0w.

And your not gonna be able to unlock it with redsn0w. Just jailbreak, then go get ultrasn0w to unlock in cydia.

3. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Make sure you have the latest redsnow and also point it to the 3.1.2 ipsw file.

4. mayakukla thread starter macrumors regular

thanks, can redsn0w unlock the firmware without needing to connect to data or wifi?

Also, if the phone was upgraded to 4.02 and newest 5.13.04 baseband then downgraded to 3.12 by me for my friend, will the redsn0w still be able to make a custom firmware?

Thanks

5. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

No, you will need to connect to wifi and install ultrasnow thru cydia.
    And yes, even if the phone went up to 4.0.2 and then down to 3.1.2 you can still run redsnow.
    And redsnow doesnt make a custom firmware, thats what pwnage tool does.
    Redsnow just JB's the device without having to restore to custom ipsw thru itunes.

6. esadb macrumors 65816

esadb

7. mayakukla thread starter macrumors regular

pwnage gives me an error as well when I try to load 3.13. Can pwnage make it work without wifi if I got it to work somehow? I can get as far to jb with spirit but that does not unlock. And blackra1n requires older baseband. I don't want to use cyder at this point. he does not have wifi or data.

8. esadb macrumors 65816

esadb

He gave you a clear answer. pwnage is bugged i always used to get errors with it. redsn0w never failed.

Why dont you just jailbreak it with redsnow its literally a 2minute procedure. Then open cydia and add ultrasn0w and unlock?

If you dont have wifi or data at the house.. go to a starbucks and you can find wifi or probably around town there is free wifi.

Is the phone not activated perhaps?? If thats the case hes gonna have to get a SIMCARD from the original carrier to activate it first then.

9. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

No, no matter what you use you still gotta connect to cydia thru wifi or 2G/3G data to install ultrasnow.
    You are very misinformed, you need to do alot more research before you try anything else. iphone 3G phones dont have old or new bootrom. Cydia is a must to unlock it so you have no option but to use it to unlock and install ultrasnow.
    Also blackrain or spirit will also work.
    Go here and read and search thru tutorials for the device you're using.
    http://www.iclarified.com/tutorials/iphone/index.php

10. mayakukla thread starter macrumors regular

I am not very misinformed, I do know what I am doing. When did I say anything about the bootrom? And cydia was not always a must to unlock in the sense that I remember in previous jailbreaks, with activated custom software, it is already jailbroken with cydia installed and unlocked. It was a custom IPSW made with pwnage perhaps that you could download and install and in this case the jailbreak and unlock was combined. I know spirit will work, did you read my first post? I could not get blackrain to work though (for unlock, not jb) Blacksnow cannot unlock the new baseband 05.13.04 baseband. The only way to do this now is to download ultrasnow from cydia, but since the phone has no wifi or data there is no way to connect to cydia beside looking at the pretty icon on the home screen.

If there are no custom firmwares that can be installed that are already unlocked than there is no way to do it since I can jb but not unlock since I cannot connect to data.

And lose the condescending attitude please

11. mayakukla thread starter macrumors regular

If you had read my first post you would notice I said the wifi is not working on the phone. Meaning the wifi antenna inside the phone is defective, not that I don't have wifi at home, lol. And yes, it is activated with cydia on the homescreen with no wifi or data connection to access cydia for ultrasnow

12. esadb macrumors 65816

esadb

So your telling me you dont have ANYONE with a data account that you could borrow the SIM and update cydia to get ultrasn0w?

Unless you get pwnage to work, i dont think there is another way. I tried using pwnage before and it kept failing on me constantly..

And if your so "well" informed youd know the answer to this and wouldnt be asking questions here now would you?

13. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Hey, Im the one wasting my time trying to help you here.
    So you lose the attitude and be a little more thankfull instead.
    There was never any custom IPSW with pwnage or any tool that jailbroke a 3G iphone and unlocked it automaticly. Educate yourself a little before you act like you know. It was all done by installing ultrasnow or blacksnow after the JB and downloading it thru the net.
    The only phone you can do that JB and unlock without any net usage is on the 2G iphone with redsnow.
    So no wifi or carrier data no unlock period.

Even a custom IPSW created with Pwnage will not unlock an iphone 3G.
    Its all done after thru cydia.