Problem with Retina Display After Only 2 Days

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by cboback, Jun 22, 2012.

1. cboback macrumors newbie

I have had my Macbook w/ retina display for only 2 days and there is already a permanent mark on the screen. The laptop hasn't left my desk since I got it, so it wasn't dropped or banged around. Is this something that other owners are experiencing or is there something wrong with my individual product? Thanks :)

[​IMG]

I'd usually ignore something like this.... but I got it 2 days ago ffs. Not to mention, it was the most expensive Mac I have ever purchased (upgraded from 13" Macbook Pro)

2. boomboom2 macrumors regular

Yeah, I'd definitely take that back and get it replaced!

3. doh123 macrumors 65816

looks like the keyboard space key got smashed down on it...

4. Lagmonster macrumors 6502

I agree, it looks like a physical issue and not electronic.

5. VFC macrumors 6502a

Looks like a pen was sitting on the keyboard and the screen was closed. That is one of the most common ways a laptop screen is damaged.

6. ivoruest macrumors 6502

ivoruest

Take it immediately! They surely will replace it or fix it.

This is the only thing why I still like the glass in front of the screen in my MBP glossy. It protects it a bit more.

7. minnus macrumors 6502

Win - looks like this laptop screen flexes like hell and causes damage - like the MacBook Air screen. When apple replaces it, put a cloth between the screen and the keyboard. If you rest ANYTHING on top of it (even something light, like a notebook) it is enough to press down.

8. Auzburner macrumors 65816

Auzburner

That stinks! I will not be happy if that happens to me once my MacBook arrives.

9. user418 macrumors 6502a

user418

Man that really bums me out. It's a gut wrenching feeling to drop a load of cash on anything and then have problems in just a couple of days. Kinda like buying a new car and getting a scratch within that first week. As someone suggested take it to the Apple store asap and seek a replacement. Hope things work out for you favorably.

10. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Thread has been reopened, please keep the discussion civil and on topic

11. mac1984user macrumors 6502a

mac1984user

This reminds me of the days of the Titanium PowerBook G4. My friends who owned it had marks on their screens from the keys pressing onto the LCD surface if any outside pressure was applied. I never had the issue as I placed a Marware keyboard cover over the keys. The habit stayed and I tend to keep the little screen protector thingy that Apple ships with for this very reason. Seems I'll be doing the same again with the recently ordered rMBP. It's a shame you've had this experience. They make sacrifices to get the design so thin. In my opinion, there is a fine line between wanting an ultra-thin powerful laptop and wanting one that can take a bit of normal use. You shouldn't expect that keeping your computer in a sleeve in a bag would cause marks on the screen, but that is exactly what the experience was with the TiBook and it seems it will be again with this rMBP. Good luck in your replacement!

12. cboback thread starter macrumors newbie

Whenever I get a new Apple product I treat it like it is newborn child, and I never slammed it closed or had anything on the keyboard when I closed it. I opened the box, unwrapped it, put it on my desk, and used 3-4 times before I noticed the mark.

Is this something they can fix? or will they have to replace the laptop entirely? and will AppleCare cover this?

Also, since the stock in the stores is very low, would I have to wait to replace it?