Problem with S.M.A.R.T system in hard drive

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Dave Weckl, Sep 7, 2011.

1. Dave Weckl macrumors newbie

Hi Everyone.

I'm expiriencing some trouble with my hard drive and i don't know what to do.
    i'm sure you can give some tips.

I've been in vacations and had my Mac pro (2008) winth 10.5.8 Macos shut down.
    When I left it was everything ok, in the day i came back i turned on the computer and it was very strange, slower and giving some errors, shutting down illustrator and photoshop with any aparent reason, and for exemple if i tryed to oppen safari it woud take 5 mins just to oppen it.

I first ran disk utillity and gave me the error something like. "Bad Struture in the knots" wasn't exectelly this but it something about knots.

Than i ran Disk utillity from the Install DVD and gave me the message. fatal error. Fail on S.M.A.R.T system.

Than i Formated the hard drive, intall everything again, the sistem runs better but still slower in some tasks. I run disk utillity again from the DVD and gave the same Error. "Fatal Error" Problem with the S.M.A.R.T System.

The thing is. How can my system work but, disk utillity give me a fatal error?
    And there's some way to fix the S.M.A.R.T. System of the hard drive with some software?

Sorry the long description but i tried to be the most accurate possible to identiffy the scenario.

Thks for your attention.

hugs, Dave Weckl

2. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

SMART is warning you of a problem with the drive. It's not the SMART system that's failing, it's warning you of an imminent drive failure. Backup your data and replace that drive immediately.

jW

3. Quad5Ny macrumors 6502a

Quad5Ny

4. Dave Weckl thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok.

Thks a lot for your attention.

That was my fear. I see i have no other way. :(
    Thanks for the tips of the hard drives to buy.

5. mainstay macrumors 6502

mainstay

you took your Mac Pro with you on vacation? Man, that is some carry-on.

If it is a Mac Pro, those drives listed by Quad5Ny are good solid drives (but not enterprise drives which you may be interested in).

You probably have a MacBook Pro, in which case the 2.5" models of WD Caviar Blacks is what you are after. Very good drives. Or you can spend the big bucks and buy a solid state drive.

Here is some install videos:

http://eshop.macsales.com/installvideos/macbookpro_15_unibody_hd/

And yes, SMART failure means your drive needs to be replaced ASAP. It is an early warning system that warns of imminent drive failure.

6. Quad5Ny macrumors 6502a

Quad5Ny

7. Dave Weckl thread starter macrumors newbie

I have a Mac Pro (Tower),
    I didn't carry it on my Vcation :), otherwise i'll be very musculated lol.

8. Dave Weckl thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi everyone.

Thks a lot for your precious tips.
    I'm Now buying a new hard drive.
    I just would like to know one tip. The hard drive have some kind of special
    tecnical caractheristics to moount it on a Mac Pro, or is just regular hard drive?

Thks. again for your help.

9. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

10. Quad5Ny macrumors 6502a

Quad5Ny

Keep in mind that not all drive's have the same warranty, reliability or speed. And that larger capacity drives from the same product line are always faster than the smaller ones.

Seagate and Western Digital are always good choices. But make sure you pick something recent that's at least 7,200RPM and has a good sized cache (=/>32MB). There's no reason to go with a low power 5,400RPM drive in your Mac Pro.

The blacks I listed in my previous post are excellent drives. If you want something with enterprise reliability take a look at the WD RE4's (I have a 500GB RE2 from 2005 still running strong).

11. Dave Weckl thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi everyone.

Thks for your tips.
    My choice went to a ssd Hard drive to improve speed of overall system.
    I bought a vertex 2 ssd sata II 3.5
    http://www.pixmania.com/pt/pt/5759117/art/ocz/ssd-interno-vertex-2-seri.html

And i'll join a regular sata hard drive of 500g in slot 2, as a second hard drive .

But now i'm with a problem. My ssd drive came today by mail and i'm trying to install it. The thing is, i run the leopard instalation DVD, and it asks me to chose in what hard drive i want to install, tehere's no drive to select. The MacPro doesn't recognise the ssd hard drive and i don't know why.
    Is it because the drive is new and isn't formated in MaCos or ntfs ?
    Or might be some problem with drives?
    Or macos wont be able to run a ssd JHard drive?

Just to try i put my old drive back in slot 1, and the ssd drive in slot 2, to try if with the MacOs Would be ablle to see the ssd drive, but it doesn't.

I tryed disk Utility it just recognise the old one.

Than i run disk utility from the leopard Install DVD, and it doesn't recognise also.

There are some way to force the macPro to recognise the new hard drive?

I'm completelly clueless about what to do.

12. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

If Disk Utility doesn't see the SSD, then it's either faulty or incorrectly installed. It's normal for the installer not to see it until you've formatted it, but Disk Utility should see it in order for you to format it. Double-check that the SSD is properly installed and fully seated on the SATA connector. If it continues not to work, contact the manufacturer of the drive.

jW

13. Dave Weckl thread starter macrumors newbie

I've rechecked it. Its properly installed in the the conector. :(

14. Quad5Ny, Sep 20, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 20, 2011

Quad5Ny macrumors 6502a

Quad5Ny

Apple has a guide here on how to clean install OS X; http://support.apple.com/kb/ht3910.

But I guess that won't help it you can't see the drive in Disk Utility.

EDIT: Make sure you put the drive in the (3.5") adapter correctly. If you didn't the connectors won't reach when you push it in the drive bay.