Problem with SC2 and Apple LED Cinema

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by jemh8, Apr 27, 2011.

1. jemh8 macrumors newbie

Hello,

It's my first post here, so I hope I can describe correctly my problem. I have a MacBook Pro Intel Core i7 @ 2200 MHz 4 GB - DDR3 @ 1333 MHz AMD Radeon HD 6750M, and just got an Apple Cinema Display 27" a week ago, the issue is that the first 3 days, I could play Starcraft 2 perfectly in the cinema, with the astonishing 2560-by-1440 resolution, but just 4 days ago I just start the SC2, get into a online game and it runs perfectly for the first 2 to 3 minutes. After that I start lagging terribly, until my game becomes completely unplayable, I quit the application(SC2) and in the activity monitor I have the CPU System % up to 92%, the fans running at 6200 rpm, and the computer becomes totally slow, yesterday it even shut itself (I think because it became so hot).
    Things to consider;

-I have the MBP connected to the monitor with the lid close(the apple led cinema is the only and main monitor).
    -I called Apple and they told me to reset the SCM which didn't help.
    -The first days I could play complete SC2 games (it didn't become slow) after 2-3 minutes
    -If I unplug the cinema I can play SC2 perfectly on my laptop monitor(with display settings of SC2 in ultra).
    -After those 2-3 minutes of perfect play, the fans start running very fast.

The question here is;
    Is it a graphic card problem?
    Is it something with the apple led cinema?
    Something I am doing wrong?
    Something with the temperature of the MBP? (I've tried fans and nothing)

I really appreciate if someone could help me. I really don't know what else to do

Greetings, regards!

2. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

I'm going to guess it's trying to play on high settings on such a large resolution. Even some desktop graphics cards would have trouble with that. That's also why it gets so hot. I'd suggest opening the lid after waking it up with the cinema display on if you're going to play games. That won't turn the MBP display on, but it will allow it to vent more heat. Try that, and if it doesn't work, you'll either have to lower the settings or the resolution.

3. jemh8 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks a lot!

It was the perfect solution!! Thank you so much, first I connect the display, once my Apple LED Cinema becomes the main and only monitor, I open the lid of my MBP(with out clicking on Detect Display, and the MBP is "inactive") so the vents can cool down the laptop, I could play perfect for hours!

Thank you

4. finder39 macrumors member

Now that you have it all working, what quality are you playing at? High? Extreme? It what? Just curious :)

Sent from my HTC Desire CDMA using Tapatalk

5. jemh8 thread starter macrumors newbie

Hello finder39!

Im playing it at High, with a 2560x1440 resolution, and it works perfectly!

6. finder39 macrumors member

WOW!!! Thats amazing!!

Now i may have to pick myself up a display! :)