Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cattle Prodder

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 22, 2015
Hi, I have a mid-2012 13 inch macbook pro, bought from new about a year and a half ago. I'm having this problem where occasionally my screen will freeze and become kinda pixelated with lots of diagonal lines... There's also this rhythmic ticking/clicking sound. I can't see my cursor and can't click anything or bring up task manager and have to force shut down by holding the off button. Then I start it up again and everything is fine for a while. This happens a lot when I am gaming for some reason, but has happened once when just streaming videos. It has just been happening the past couple of days, I had Mavericks but have just updated to Yosemite and it has happened again. I have read similar cases online where it freezes and theres noises coming from the hdd, however my noises are not from the hdd. I had headphones on the first time and the noise came from the headhones and scared the **** out of me. I've only ever had one real issue with my macbook where I had to get some cable inside which connects the hard drive to everything else replaced cause it could not recognise the hdd. Since then I've had no problems with it If anyone has any ideas it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

MacInTO

macrumors 65816
Apr 25, 2005
Canada, eh!
There only a few moving parts in your Mac, the hard drive, the fans and the superdrive. I'd bet it's the hard drive if your screen freezes when the noises happen.

If I were you, I'd be proactive and replace the drive before it crashes.

Cattle Prodder

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 22, 2015
Ok, thanks for the reply! Just to clarify though the noise is not coming from any internal parts, it's coming from the speaker or headphones only. Still think I should replace my harddrive? Cheers

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.