Problem with shared computers on network

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by deltaiscain, Aug 23, 2008.

1. deltaiscain macrumors regular

I have a home computer, windows xp sp3, and my macbook pro doesn't detect it under Network. I would like to browse the files on that computer, but it can't find it. I tried using ip address, but that didn't seem to work either. At school, i do see computers pop up under Network. with network i mean: when in finder, go to the "Go" menu, and then Network, or connect to server, and then browse. Is there something i am doing wrong?

2. bartzilla macrumors 6502a

Are you sharing resources on the Windows machine? Much like you would on a Mac, you need to advertise a service (printer, file-share, lolcat server) on the network before things on the network can see it.

3. deltaiscain thread starter macrumors regular

i'm not sure where those options are. I would like to turn on file-sharing

4. snaky69 macrumors 603

Run the home network wizard in your windows machine, follow the instructions, and you should be able to see it without any problems. Sometimes my windows machine forgets that I did it, so I have to do it over to be able to see it.

5. deltaiscain thread starter macrumors regular

That worked, thanks

6. bartzilla macrumors 6502a

I should also have said

that with the basics done, I'd also suggest installing bonjour onto the windows machine.

It makes things so much easier for me here at home to have my macbook, XP desktop and networked printer all able to discover one another nicely and easily.

7. deltaiscain thread starter macrumors regular

Just also set up the printer. Thanks for the tip. works great