problem with sharpness

Discussion in 'macOS' started by osin, Jun 15, 2008.

1. osin macrumors 6502

I just started using Mac for the first time and noticed that fonts on all websites I visit aren't sharp as they use to be under the windows os. I'm using Safari and Firefox and same problem exist in both browsers. But when I run internet explorer thru vmware fusion everything seem to be alright.

are there any options to change it?

2. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

The fonts in OS X are aliased unlike in Windows. So the fonts in OS X look more like they would when they are printed, thus they don't look as sharp.

3. The General macrumors 601

The problem you are having is that you prefer a font rendering technology that is inferior.

In Mac OS X, font's are anti-aliased with sub-pixel smoothing. It doesn't get any more accurate, nor does it get any clearer. You're just used to blocky nasty fonts in Windows.

After a few weeks of Mac OS X, you'll be used to it and seeing the fonts in Windows will make you want to vomit.

4. osin thread starter macrumors 6502

5. Killyp macrumors 68040

Killyp

No, there is no way of making OS X more like Windows.

You will get used to it, and technically it's better to work with than the fonts in Windows - less information for your brain to process. With non-antialiased fonts, your brain has to 'decode' the lettering, wheras antialiased font is what your brain is used to seeing (printed text).

6. The General macrumors 601

You don't want to change it. That would be taking a step back in technology, image quality, and readability. I made three sample lines in Photoshop.

The one on the left is totally aliased. This is how Windows renders fonts.

The middle line is using anti-aliasing. It's crap. I'd rather have the one on the left.

The one on the right is using sub-pixel smoothing. This is how Mac OS X renders fonts. It's the best way to render fonts.

[​IMG]

This is what they actually look like on screen (if you have a monitor with RGB pixels instead of BGR):

[​IMG]

The one on the right is the clear winner. It has three times the horizontal resolution.

7. osin thread starter macrumors 6502

I totally understand that now and examples look great :)

just my eyes do not want adjust that fast ;)

8. The General macrumors 601

Just give it a week or so and you'll be so used to it that you'll hate PCs just for their fonts. :)

9. Verdanice macrumors regular

I agree OS X does a better job with font rendering overall, but.... Windows has been using ClearType for ages. It hasn't been aliased (at least without the ClearType option) since pre-XP, I don't think.

10. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Just turn on ClearView in Windows (Antialiasing)

Your eyes will adjust faster.

11. phoobo macrumors regular

OS X fonts on laptops a physical problem for many users

The font rendering problem was introduced with OS X, and Apple has so far not indicated a willingness to provide a more ergonomic option. A certain number of people struggle with the OS X renderings (particularly on laptop screens; I have not found this to be a problem on an iMac), and experience eye fatigue and headaches. Some people will not be able to get used to this no matter how hard they try.

You can see a very intelligent forum on this topic here:
    http://www.atpm.com/12.01/paradigm.shtml?reload

The solution, for the meantime, is to use Windows programs on the Mac for font-intensive work, or long hours of writing.